Best brass for 7mm-08

Archeryelk

I love my little 7mm-08 and this is the final time I am reloading them. What is the best brass made. Where is the best place to buy it?

I don't really care about cost.

Gary

I use .308 Lapua brass in my 7mm-08. It is a simple matter to neck them down in any 7mm-08 FL sizer die. I turn the necks down slightly for uniformity but it isn't necessary to reduce them to fit in my factory chambered barrel. However, it is always prudent to check the loaded neck diameter when necking brass down.

The .308 brass is slightly shorter than 7mm-08 brass would ordinarily be but this does not present a problem. You will probably never have to trim the brass other than to initially uniform their length. (If that's even necessary)

While you could also use .243 Lapua brass, which is longer than the .308 brass, I believe there is a shoulder angle issue to deal with. You would probably need to fireform the .243 brass so I never bothered with it.

I am not an expert at reloading so please excuse the dumb question. So, all I have to do is buy Lapua .308 brass and full length resize it to 7mm-08? Is that right?

Archer

Archer, yes. I did read something Kirby mentioned about first running the brass through the seating die before the full length die so the shoulder doesn't collapse, but I BELIEVE that was with softer Norma brass. The only things I've heard about necking .308 down are the neck will be a pinch thick (which shouldn't matter in a factory chamber) and the neck might be a little bit shorter so you won't have to trim as frequently.

If Norma makes 7/08 brass, I would go that route vs resizing 308 brass. Norma brass is good stuff with a drilled primer hole like Lapua brass. Are you a Ford or Chevy man? Norma or Lapua? Both brasses are great, but why go to the work of converting and then maybe needing to outside turn the necks if you don't need to? Just my experience with Norma.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.