Best brass for .338 win mag? Not Norma please

EXPRESS

I tried some Norma brass in my .338 win mag, and for the first time after reloading over a dozen belted mag cartridges, experienced the bloating above the belt leading to the sizing die to shave material off.

Aside from that, the primer pockets were loose after two firings, so on the third I binned them.

So I'm after some other brass, I don't mind culling but would prefer good quality to begin with.

So who makes the best? Nosler? Hornady? Living in Europe I usually use Lapua, which is great, it doesn't need culling or sorting but they don't make any belter mag cases any more. Consequently I'm a little bit out of touch with the other brands.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

For my belted mags, I've never had any of those problems with Nosler brass. Can't guarantee anything, but I've never had those problems before, and been shooting some of that brass for several years with very hot loads in large high-pressure calibers.

Remington has held up fairly well but frankly, Remington and Winchester both are virtually impossible to find so it's a toss up between Hornady, Nosler and Norma. I'm think'in Nosler would be the ticket.

The most practical way for these days is to just buy more Norma, Nosler or Hornady brass and replace regularly. Or buy loaded Remington or Winchester ammo and either shoot it or pull the bullets.

IMO Lapua and RWS make the best brass.

Unfortunately as you stated Lapua doesn't make a belted case. RWS doesn't make the 338 win mag BUT it does make the longer belted 375 H and H. It would take some work but you could make 338 win mag brass from that 375 brass. (Roy Weatherby did this so can you) Then you would have the very best. Not many handloaders are that serious. link for RWS brass:

Huntington Die Specialties :: Cases :: RWS Cases :: 375 H&H | RWS

Another way to go would be to rechamber to 338 Lapua then you would have excellent brass.

Winchester has been the best and Remington I also size 7 mm REM mag brass for 338 win mag .I stocked up on a few cases and have life time supply of 338 win mag .If norma made 338 win mag it would be awesome.I might could part with some unfired 338 win at Remington brass .I usually get five loads at least out of it .The belt sizer die helps too .I have fooled with the 338 eon mag 30 years this year ots

Winchester has been the best and Remington I also size 7 mm REM mag brass for 338 win mag .I stocked up on a few cases and have life time supply of 338 win mag .If norma made 338 win mag it would be awesome.I might could part with some unfired 338 win at Remington brass .I usually get five loads at least out of it .The belt sizer die helps too .I have fooled with the 338 eon mag 30 years this year its awesome hunting round .I am ready to try new bullets in it and powders abd make it and even better round than I am use to .I have taken almost 175 head of big game with it from three to 425 yards .

That makes more sense.

Could you expand the necks with a .300 win mag die then move up to the .338?
Would it need to be annealed before necking up?

I just ordered some Nosler, but I have some once fired RWS 7mm on hand so I've got nothing to lose trying.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.