Best bow for long distant hunting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Nino, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Nino

Nino New Member

I currently have a Mathews Switchback and was thinking of upgrading to the Z7. I'm going on a Mule deer bow hunt in Dec and need to reach out to 65-70 yards, might need something a little quicker, any thoughts?

2. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

It is more in how you shoot the bow and tune on equipment, than a said particular bow. I just picked up a new bow, my other is 4-5 yrs. old, took alittle to work into new set up. Draw curve,valley,etc are all a bit different. Once spring hits I do most range work at 50-100 yrds, but I have range in back yard. I practice 95% broadheads before season, I have a bow that is always set up for broadheads only. I number and test all for hunting.

3. Bug

Bug Active Member

Take a look at APA Innovations. They actually manufacture the fastest bow on the market. They have some very nice innovations that others could have brought out, but didn't. The more I learn about them, the more I like them. I have shot one, and was VERY impressed. They are super quiet, and smooothe as silk.

4. djtjr

djtjr Well-Known Member

What you have is more than enough but most bow shooters shouldn't be shooting 70 yards as I have seen very few that can do it well. Just like most or avg shooters can't shoot well past a few hundred yards. Practice out past that with broad heads and dont focus on speed. Like with LR guns heavier arrows will penetrate better and I have seen the very fast very light arrows bounce off deer 70 lb good bow on more than one occasion. I am not advocating a sleeved 1000 grab arrow like I have used for buffalo but don't go too light. It's all about practice. Remember you don't have a rest you are shooting offhand with no magnification and wind affects an arrows lot a those ranges let's say feet so practice in wind and from awkward positions.
    Good luck