Best Binocs for Long Range Glassing

Mr. Ed

I have a pair of Pentax 8x56 but am looking for some more user friendly and lighter. What would y'all recommend for glassing up to 500 yards over new cutover? 10x? What brand is the clearest and brightest?

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just my opinion: I´m using a swaro 8 x 30 Wb that works great. IN my opinion a 8 x 30 or similar will be lighter than any of the 10 x 42, wil give you a wider field and will allow easier and more comfortable glassing. We talk about glassing, not getting a fully detailed pic; for this at LR not even a 10 x will do, you´ll need a spotting scope for that.

if you can , go for quality optics swarov, zeiss, leica.... if you plan to have the bino attached to your face for long periods.

I have been using a number of Nikon products and love them. For a light pair of binos, I use the ATB 8X42 roof prism. Light and awesome clarity. Around $250.

If you want more mag, they make a 10 and 12X in that model.

For longer distances or general glassing, I am now using a pair of EX ATB 12X50 binos. Very nice, quite light and dirt cheap at $150. Massive field and depth of view. I don't bother with a spotting scope much when using these binos.

Don't think that the price indicates optical quality in these cases. I have compared them side by side to some pretty expensive Euro binos and these didn't give up much if any. In fact, at a 1000m shoot this summer, these EX were compared to a pair of 10X42 Zeiss by the owner and me. The owner of the Zeiss admitted he found these Nikons had better resolution and depth of field.

I have use them both hunting at first light. I can say I am impressed with their low light abilities as well.

Jerry

Try the Pentax 8X36 DCF HS roof prism. Water resistant, not water proof. Optics the same as its $500 brother which is waterproof, but less than half the price. Light, super bright, easy to focus, and you can sit back and smirk
when your buddies with the German jobs compare peeks.

I am very fortunate in that I have had the opportunity to evaluate a number of optics on someone else's dime. I have owned, or used Nikon, Pentax, Leupold, Swarovski, Leica, Brunton, and the list goes on. My personal binos are old world Zeiss and I love them. They are heads and shoulders above the new conquest series. Without a doubt the most optically brillant glass I have used is Leica with Swarovski not far behind. The new Swarovski EL series are awesome glass.

On a budget? Take a look at the new Wind River series from Leupold. Guys in retail sales are quick to point out the Wind River series has been very successful with few returns and few customer complaints. Want the best? Leica, Swarovski, or Zeiss.

I'll add somthing here...

I am a big fan of euro glass.. it is simply the best out there. But here are others that come close.

I have Steiner 12X56 Nighthunters and The 20X80 Senators..
I tried to sell the Nighthunters but couldn't and now I am real glad I didn't. They are always in focus and for scanning up to 500 yards well thats light work for them . My buddy was picking out and evaluating Antelope and Mule Deer to over 1000 yards with them...

I recently purchased a pair of 8x42 Nikon Monarchs ATB's from theOpticzone.com. I got a chance to compare them directly with the Lupy WindRiver's and the Swaro's at Cabela's and while the Swaro's were brighter, for my money I really liked the Monarchs. With the leftover cash I could buy another rifle....or christmas presents for the kids...if I have to... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Matt

Check out Cabela's Euro Binoculars 10x42 they are made by Swarovski for Cabela's and with a $799 price tag and free shipping they look hard to beat. (my personal glass is swarovski 10x42 slc)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.