Best 'big' 30 cal

Re: Best \'big\' 30 cal

ok so I have got my heart set on a 300RUM, i even found a friend of a friend of a friend who has one that i was able to shot, and yes thats what i want...
only problem now is the two rifles i was looking at the remington 700XCR or the savage 116fss don't really exist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
so, what now? does anyone have any specific rifle to look at that i could actually get? or do any of you gun smiths out there have any ideas of something that you could build up?
thanks!

300 RUM gets my vote. All I have is a factory Sendero with a Jewell Trigger and Leupold optics'. 200gr Accubound, 94gr of Retumbo, Rem mag primer= 3/4in all day long.

The RUM is so easy to load for 200gr Acc/w any powder from IMR4350 to AA8700 shoots tight groups in my gun DP the bullet. Every load i feed this gun shoots!

I own the 300 Rem ultra mag and was shooting 180 gr bullets at 3230 fps today and shot a 1" group at 200 yds. That 300 is very accurate.

wow thats pretty good shooting...now i just have to figure out where i can get a rifle to shoot that bullet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Imac,
When you get your 300rum be sure to try the Barnes TSX 168grn. I have a stock (other than a rifle basix trigger) rem. sendero. It shoots the TSXs very well.

Remington lists the XCR and SPS in 300 RUM i would ring around dealers to find out where you can get one from im shur some dealers dont like selling rifles they dont have on there shelf by ordering in a rifle. They would rather sell you the 300 Win mag on the shelf and will tell you you dont need a 300 RUM it does not matter about need just that you wish to own one that is enough and the dealer should try to obtain one for you. Here in Australia i can get either they do exist.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I to have recenlt got a .300 RUM a rem 700 pss all I have done is added a canjar trigger, it has a leupold 6.5-20x50mk4 and it shoots well after seeing how it goes out a bit compared to other chamberings I own I reckon it's the ducks nuts.

Wild Bill what is the XCR model remington have ??

Get a Remington PSS, P, or Police model........in 300 RUM. I have several of them, out of the box with NO modifications, the best one shoots .4" groups at 100 yds, the worst shoots .6" groups. Not bad for a $700 gun.
good luck
Jordan

I just resently got my 300 RUM and I shot a 3 shot group at 200 yds with 180gr bullets into 1" using H1000 power. 3225 FPS.

The XCR is called the Xtereem Condition Rifle it has a synthetic stock with the rubber moulding and is stainless and has a new 3 layer coating on the metal parts to reduce corrosian and damage called Tri-Nite it has electroless nickle and zirconium nitride. Remington says it is armour like and beats any competitors corrosian finishes.
Hope this helps

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.