best beginning LR pistol caliber?

Barrel length is a personal thing.
I would go somewhere between 15-18 inches myself.
I am not counting the brake as part of this length.
I have a S-3 Sightron 6-24 (one of the older ones).
Great scope for the money.
I like their new MOA reticle.

Not certain at the moment but going to work on getting all components together first. Anyone have any experience with sightrons new scopes and new reticles?
Also should I go with an 18" barrel? Or shorter?

I went with a McGowen 18" for my 260. They installed the barrel for me and I will be doing business with them again. Right out of the box(once i found the right load) it was shooting one hole groups with the 3rd group of loads I made up(less than 10rd down the tube).

McGowen has chambered up to barrels that went on a trued XP action and each barrel has won competitions for me.
Gunsmiths I use that are here on LRH are Kirby Allen, Jim See, and Chuck McIntosh.
All three of these guys are great and so is their work.

So could you get a prechambered barrel from sharp shooters supply? or order one elsewhere? Also what reargrip stocks do people like to put on a savage SP?

I like Scott McRee's stocks.
Neal (on this site) makes or can direct you to whom makes a rear grip stock for the target action that he designed. Jim See may sell it, not sure.
Joel Russo (on this site) also makes one, I think.....

I would have the barrel set-up and not use a barrel nut.
You could send your action to whoever you want to build it.
Depending on the stock it may need to be bedded.
Another job for the gunsmith, unless you can a do a good job yourself.
I would not buy a pre-chambered one, but that is just me.
What brand of barrel do you want?
You don't have to choose from just one or two brands.

I use Brux, Broughton, Krieger, Lilja, Bartlein, Lawton, Douglas, and McGowen (No specific order).
My son and I have done well and won with each of these brands.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.