best beginning LR pistol caliber?

cowboy717

Ok, while I'm still gathering parts and have yet to come up with an XP action. I'm getting antsy, and shooting my 35 rem is starting to hurt. I'm looking at building off a savage target action in something small to get used to everything (and scratch my itch) what would somebody suggest? I'm open for any opinions and thoughts.
Thank ya!

I just want to use it for practice and varmint shooting. Just to get used to a SP. Maybe, used on short range deer. But just most of all to get used to a long range pistol with a rifle scope.

A number of options.
Depends on how far you want to practice at:
6BR, 6 Dasher, 6mm-6.5x47 Lapua, 243 Win, 6-284 ( I have all but the BR and Dasher).
6.5x47 Lapua, 260 Rem, 6.5-284
I would use a 1-8 twist for all of these.
In 6mm I would use from the 95 grain VLD's to the 105/107 class VLD's
in 6.5 I would use the 123 to 140 grain bullets

Any of these cartridges will work fine for varmints, deer and LR practice.
Have you read my article on using high magnification rifle scopes on specialty pistols?
E

I think I have read that article but will refresh my memory! Thanks! I was thinking maybe 6BR or 243 to keep recoil down so I don't get scope eye right away. Maybe even 6.5x284 since I have dies for it too. Hmmm decisions decisions!
Thank you!

I would suggest the 243 Win or the 6.5-284 of the three you mentioned.
You will lose around 250-300 fps compared to the longer barrels that most rifles use in these chamberings.
So your 6.5-284 will have ballistics closer to a 260 Rem rifle.
The 6 BR will work fine, and will be easy to use, but I am not sure how far you intend to shoot with it, and how far you would like to take deer with it.

Im having a 243 AI built for my daughter. she is wanting to get into shooting. Thought I would build something not to scare her and still take a deer. Looked at all cal changed my mind about 30 times and went back to it.

I've been kinda torn now, looking at 6.5x284, 243 or 243 AI, 260 or 260 AI. Oh my I'm getting good at confusing myself! Also for a savage, where would one get a barrel? Would you get a prechambered? I'm thinking about using a Defensive Edge brake.

Personally, I would consider a chambering that is not a wildcat or at least does not require fireforming. Go with a match chamber(closer tolerances but will not require neck turning).
If I had a vote it would be 6.5-284, 243 Win, or 260 Rem from those you have listed in the last post.
Shawn makes a good brake.

Are you talking a striker or a non designated target action?

Not certain at the moment but going to work on getting all components together first. Anyone have any experience with sightrons new scopes and new reticles?
Also should I go with an 18" barrel? Or shorter?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.