Best BC Bullet for AR15?

I went to find some of the 60 gr V Max and couldn't find any. I did however find some Hornady 75 gr BTHP Match bullets rated for a 1:9 twist. I don't know when I'm going to have time to tackle this project but I think it's going to be fun. I need to get a good trigger in mine before I can really test the loads though.

the problem with high BC match bullets, is they suck for hunting, they 90% of the time act as FMJ's and do little damage to the target...

Amax would be the exception, since it is a oversized Vmax. but the 75/80gr Amax wont fit in a AR mag

Several years ago I asked one of the Sierra Bulletsmiths this question.

He told me to try their .246 BC 60gr HP Varminter all I can say is "WOW" this is one accurate bullet I have shot it in a 1 - 9" twist Rem 700-P/Ruger Mini 14 Target/RA XCR-L Standard and a 21" 1 - 12" twist T/C Contender carbine and it awesome in everyone of these rifles.
QUOTE]

+1 ... My DPMS LOVES this bullet. (1-9 twist.)

Is there enough of a difference between these three bullets BC's to even matter?

I'm thinking not...

preaty much...

this is a ballistics report on the 3 in a 10mph cross wind from 3oc

for comparison, i tossed in a 75gr Amax

with a 1in 9 twist you are about at the limit for bullet weight with 70gr. Any thing from 55 to 69 gr will work eceptionally well. 69gr is my favorite, but I use an awful lot of 55gr for bench shooting and coyotes only becuase of cost. I use Ramshot X-Terminator powder and have been pleased with the results.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.