Best barrel for your $$$

Ordered a Benchmark about 2 weeks or so ago and got a call today that it's going on the truck tomorrow. In addition to the barrel, it seems like some pretty good service is part of the deal as well. That counts for "value" in my book.

For many years I have been told that big bastard magnums are impossible to shoot accurately at any range , for some freakin reason my 375 cal magnum shoots incredibly well , have 2 bbls in that caliber in different contours and lengths but both shoot supremely .... both are Benchmarks !

I'd say it's PacNor though for Contoured & Polished Super-Match Grade Stainless Steel Blank at $310. I'm guessing they may honor a group buy discount too.

Agreed. Throw another 10% off for military discount and it's a no brainer.

This like a trick question, its like what is a better Deer rifle? a .3006 or a .270.
take all the great barrel makers and put them in one box and pull any one and thats the answer
you are asking for.
I spent some long hours before I selected a barrel maker, and I never looked back

To the OP: your TITLE says "Best bbl for YOUR money?" I will next try a Schneider barrel with the polygonal rifling as I think it will be a breeze to clean and it is another barrel that many popular and excellent builders/shooters use, such as McMillan, and Tubbs.

I want to try a polygon barrel also, but Schneider's website wasn't up and running for at least 2 months, so I finally sent him an Email with a few questions. That was over a month ago and I still haven't received a response. Today I went to his website again & it's still under construction. Why would a business ignore an Email, if they are serious about doing business?
Five days ago, I sent an Email to PacNor. To date, I haven't received a response them either. To be fair, I'll wait another 4-5 weeks before I draw any definite conclusions. So far I'm experiencing a slightly sour taste.
Over a year ago I also sent an Email to a well known gunsmith (whose name I can't recall) about re-barreling an old Remington. Again, no response.
Now I'm beginning to wonder if I just happened to try contacting some pre-madonnas or am I having a run of bad luck?

No I didn't try calling and yes I did leave phone number & Email contact information.
Fortunately I'm not in a hurry.

Spencer

Whatever your smith can get you cheapest. My smith gets a huge discount on Douglas barrels because he's used them since they got started 50+ years ago, and he says they're the only barrel mfg that will truly warranty a barrel and stick to their lifetime satisfaction guarantee, no matter how many rounds have been fired through it for the life of the original purchaser. He'll order you whatever you want to pay for, but he gets the biggest price cuts on Douglas.

You can get Shilen blanks fairly cheap as well, if you're looking for chrome-moly barrels. Any stainless steel barrel blank will run you $300 and goes up from there. And that's $300 not including smith work (chambering, threading, cutting, crowning, fitting, etc...)

If you just want to go cheap, or are on a tight budget, go find you a new factory take-off barrel for $100 and have it installed.

Hey mud, would Douglas stand behind a (non satisfied) buyer..I have a #5 Premium that I DO NOT LIKE..three people have have tryed to get it to shoot after I installed it ..I would like to try another one.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts