Best barrel for 300RUM

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by smoak, Oct 11, 2003.

1. smoak

smoak Active Member

What brand barrel is best for the 300RUM. I am looking for accuracy and performance (velocity). What is the optimal length? How much velocity will I gain?

2. ewallace

ewallace Well-Known Member

I have barrels from Kreiger Lilja Shilan all are good shooters there are more barrel makers just pick one of the premium barrel makers. You will get about 25 FPS pre inch. I would go with at lest 30 for Long range Hunting. How for do you intend to shoot?
    Crow Mag

3. DANTEC

DANTEC Well-Known Member

Pac Nor make fine barrel and barrel up to 40 inch lenght in any diameter up to 2 inch

good shooting

DAN TEC

4. Celt

Celt Active Member

Walther tubes do fine for this caliber as well.
    Here are a couple groups from a #2300 contour barrel 28" long 1-10 twist shooting factory Remington 180GR Scirrocco ammo at 100 yards.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Celt

5. smoak

smoak Active Member

I have a model 700 laminated stock. Are they going to have to make the chanel bigger so the barrel will fit?

6. demarpaint

demarpaint Well-Known Member

smoak,

Odds are if you go with a longer barrel, with a heavier taper you are going to have to open up the barrel channel for that stock. You want to be sure you get a heavy enough barrel that isn't going to whip when shot. The LSS stock barrel channel is not that wide.

Good luck
    Frank D