Best aftermarket stock for Savage?

CRNA

Looking into a custom stock for a long action savage (7mm Rem Mag). I have been wanting to put a Shilen Bull barrel on a Model 111 FCNS with the accustock, but since Shilen is going to be 5 months on backorder, was toying with the idea of buying an action and custom stock then the barrel. Wondering if I would have a better gun that way (having a smith bed the action to the custom stock). Thoughts?

There are a bunch more barrel manufacturers than Shilen that offer prefits. You should be able to get one much quicker than that.

I think the best stocks for Savages are Stockades. They are all built to order and quite well built.

I'm also looking forward to the new stocks from Jim See at Center Shot Rifles.

It depends on what you are looking for in a stock, Mcree Precision makes an awesome stock all aluminum VERY rigid but kinda heavy & depending on options can be on the expensive side, you might take a look at Joel Russo's web site, he has some impressive stocks as well I'm not sure what inletting he does but a call or an e-mail would answer that question.

I put my 2 cents in on the barrel swap question you asked so I might as well get in in on the stock thing too!

IMO, the Accutrigger on the Savages really gets in the way of a good bedding job on the rear pillar. My BVSS stock had part of the factory rear pillar cut off (actually about 1/2 the diameter) so the trigger mechanism would clear. I ground a notch in the middle of the trigger mechanism right at the pillar location to give enough clearance for full support by the pillar but not enough to affect the Accutrigger engagement. I then installed a new rear pillar that actually supports the action. All that being said, I still like the laminate stocks better than the plain plastic stocks.

A guy at the range I frequent has a Choat stock. It works great! but it costs $221 at Midway. I seem to remember you saying something about a budget so I will assume that, like for me "money IS an object" and you can't just buy the best. I have my eye out for a lam stock for my 11 FCNS in 270 WSM but because it is a short magnum it takes the 4.4" hole spacing and is therefore hard to find.

A long action stock, on the other hand, is fairly common. My action is the center feed type and I have heard that the older stocks will not work. I will mention that I could take the bolt from my old 110 and use it in my 112 with no problems so I know the actions are THAT close in size. I would go for the action, barrel and stock in separate purchases. It gives you more options. You might have enough to buy an aftermarket Rifle Basics trigger which would eliminate the bedding issue mentioned above.

My old 110 action would have worked fine with my magnum face bolt and because the bolt face floats, unlike REM and company, you can get a workable setup for cheap. I used valve grinding compound to lap my bolt lugs on the 112 to silky smooth operation. Since you set the headspace yourself it is all "DIY".

My 7 Mag is shooting under 1 MOA at 100 yds with 110 grain Speer TNTs, RL22 at 62.3 grains with Winchester primers.

Here is a factory lam stock for a 116 which is the "new" stainless long action. At $189 it isn't bad.

Savage Arms Rifle Stock 116BSS Long Action Laminated Wood Brown - MidwayUSA

I paid $700 + FFL fees for my rifle new but that was a while ago and I have been shooting and not shopping! LOL I guess the big question is what kind of a deal you can get on an action...

That Choat stock is pretty good for the money.

Choate Tactical Rifle Stock Savage 110 Long Action Composite Black - MidwayUSA

^ Thank you very much for taking your time for your write ups. I really do value the good advice. I will take a look at those links. Again, thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.