Best Action to build light custom gun

Sentry1

Have been following some of the threads here and respect your thoughts and advice.

My question is that I'm trying to build a custom light mountain rifle 6lbs or less in 300WSM. What is the best action for such a rig? My original thought is to purchase a rem titanium and just use the action. However, there are several actions out there but I would like to compare the weight of the rem 300 to the weight of several other actions. Anyone know what the rem action would weigh?

Is anyone building a 6lb gun in 300wsm for under $3k?

Thanks for your help in helping me build the foundation
Sentry1

I really like the Titanium action. They generally are quite true and square so they don't need bleuprinting. I use Mickey Coleman in Greenville,AL for all my barrel work and would just send the action to him. Good luck...

I would check and see what folks like Borden and Christensen are using on their mountain/sheep rifles. That would give you a good idea of how to make the weight.

Sentry 1,

I have built several 6 lb rifles (less optics) on Rem 700 SA's using the Ti action would almost allow a scope at 6 lbs. I am hot for accuracy so I shaved weight everywhere I could and used a Hart #4 fluted 22" w/brake to come in at 5lb 15 oz less scope. These rifles ran 2800.00 but hind sight being 20/20 the Ti action would weigh less and cost more but save on shaving labor. In the end I would go with the 700 Ti action and let the building begin.

The gun you want is the New Ultra Light Arms model 26/28 (sorry cannot remember which model is the wsm) made in West VA. Melvin Forbes is the man. He makes his own actions and stocks and uses douglas premium barrels. He makes a fullsize kevlar stock that is under 1 lb and looks and fit great. It is not some shortened aberattion that some use to cut weight.

His ULA model 20 is short action and 4.5 lbs $2300
22 is long action 5 lbs

His WSM models are either the model 26 or 28 and are under 6 lbs. $2600

Key note is he makes his short actions longer than remington so cartridges like the 284 and wsms do not have to have the bullets seated way deep in the case to work in a mag. No one else can do that in a short action.

Accuracy is well under one moa

Absolute best light rifle made custom or not. No one can make as light, accurate and sweet handling as these. This is the rolls royce of light guns. Sorry guys, but anyone else is second fiddle to these guns for light guns.

I have owned two model 20s in 7-08. Bought one used with cracked stock and rusted. He reblued it and replaced the stock at no cost. He knew I bought it used also and it was abused by previous owner. No one else will do that for you!! Plus they are in stock on the shelf normally ready for sale.

Found his web http://www.newultralight.com/

BH

Weatherby builds the Ultra light in the ballistically superior, inherently accurate 300Win mag at 5 3/4 pounds. It comes with all the goodies. Good trigger, a fluted target grade barrel and an aluminum bed blocked stock with a Pachmayr® Decelerator® recoil pad installed. The rifles part number is UTM300NR4O. With all the money you will be saving you will be able to put the finest glass in the world on it and still be under budget. This is a rig you could use and love for a few years and sell it for more than you paid for it. This will be very hard to do with a custom.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.