Best 6.5 CM Barrel Length ?

My son is thinking of getting a Tikka T3X Lite in 6.5 CM and was debating on what barrel length would be best . It would be strictly a whitetail hunting rig with maximum shots at 300 yards and under . Most all shots would be 100 or less actually . Anyway , I told him I would prefer the 22" barrel but I thought I would see if there was a huge advantage to 24" . Thanks

I have a 16.5" barreled 6.5 Creed I shoot Factory Hornady 143eldx...1moa out to 500y. I have killed many Hogs and Axis Deer from 100y out to 350y with one shot kills. Unless your shooting pass 500y any legal barrel length in 6.5 Creed will be more then enough to Kill!

I've got a Browning Hells Canyon LR rifle in 6.5 Creed. It came with a 26" bbl. Looking at the charts above and seeing that the velocity is actually LESS, I wonder why they chose to use a 26" tube.

Its what sells. I agree that the test has its limits as with any test. But still interesting none the less. It really depends on impact velocity and your bullet that will tell you how far you will shoot with that combo.

I have a friend that is a sponsored shooter and his hunting rifles have went to 16.5 tubes and side folding stocks with a can. He takes the can off and folds the stock to make his rifle 23 inches to fit in his pack. He said when your dialing who cares about velocity as that is a dope change you just have to know the impact velocity so you know your limits.

I've got a Browning Hells Canyon LR rifle in 6.5 Creed. It came with a 26" bbl. Looking at the charts above and seeing that the velocity is actually LESS, I wonder why they chose to use a 26" tube.
The barrel was brand new when they were testing the longer length. It was breaking in as they cut inches off. Should have run a couple hundred rounds through it first before testing.

You can always shorten a pipe, making it longer - not so much.

I have a very well balanced 18" barrel that started as a 28" tube. It shoots bugholes with 140s. My go-to hunting rifle.

I've hunted with my 27.5" Krieger and another 26"er. They work well, but the little bugger does the same thing in a baton-sized package.

6.5s all.

The barrel is fluted so reducing its length wouldn't be a good option. I'm not terribly worried about the extra few inches anyway. The last time I shot the rifle it dropped 3-135gr Bergers into a tidy <1.5" group at 400yds. I've never owned a factory rifle that was capable of that kind of accuracy. All stock except for the Timney trigger,

My new 6. CM Browning X-Bolt Pro came with a 22" barrel which is "OK" for now. I got a less than 1/2" 3 shot group sighting it in last Friday at 100 yards so it shoots very well. (Pro barrels are factory lapped.)

BUT... I live in Nevada and shots can be long. My 6.5 CM Ruger Precision competition rifle has a 24" barrel and that is closer to what I want for better velocity. When I replace the Browning barrel it will be a 24" Bartlein stainless barrel with 5R rifling.

In the meantime I'll reload by tumbling my bullets with HBN powder and upping the charge to regain velocity. It's really slippery stuff.

Eric B.

Yuppers, it's a persons preference of what the game plan is.

I like the 26's for alot of things,,, I also liked the 20's and 22's when I'm thumping the thick bush,,, so I split things down the middle,,, the good old 24.

It just looks right I guess,,, not to long, not to short. It's easy to jump into PRS, a bit of F Class fun shooting,,, general long range,,, and lots of hunting to fill in the good times,,, or is it the other way around. Ha.

You'll find what your looking for, start long as you can alway trim back, you can't add on with out some funds.

Good luck in your quest, I'm sure it will be good times no matter what length of barrel you choose .

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts