best 338 lapua based caliber

I said this before on another thread, but I would find the smith first. Once you decide on a caliber, find a gunsmith from this site to build this gun for you. Fifty said that it's easier to tell him what you want, such as a barrel and stock, then let him order it. As for caliber I would go with the straight .338 Lapua, it seems like it will what you want. That said, any of the other suggestions here would also do the job.

450matt,

Not sure on barrel life, have not burnt a barrel out yet. The Lapua will get you 1000-1500 depending on how you care for the barrel. The AX may be slightly less then this but not much, still in this same range pretty easily.

As far as barrels, I use Lilja barrels on 85% of all my customers barrels. Other then that its mainly Krieger and Hart. As you already know Hart limits you to 30". Lilja will make you a 338 barrel up to 45". No need for that length but any length you want in the 30's they will do for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts