Best 22 cal rifle

LIK2HNT

Looking for opinions on what the best .22 cal. rifle would be. With the high cost of ammo and it being easier to find places to shoot to 50 yards, I am in the need for a good bolt action 22 that feels and handle similar to the full size Rem. 700 & Browning A-bolts my kids shoot. I need to get them more trigger time and practice for quicker set-up on targets for hunting. Accuracy is a must should be able to get 5 shot dime size groups. And I would have to be able to adjust the trigger to between 2 & 3 lbs. This 22 would be scoped and they would be practicing a lot prone w/ bipod, and sitting with and without shooting sticks. I am looking at the Ruger 77/22 and CZ 455 Varmint and was wondering what others would suggest. Thanks for any input.
Bill

Looking for opinions on what the best .22 cal. rifle would be. With the high cost of ammo and it being easier to find places to shoot to 50 yards, I am in the need for a good bolt action 22 that feels and handle similar to the full size Rem. 700 & Browning A-bolts my kids shoot. I need to get them more trigger time and practice for quicker set-up on targets for hunting. Accuracy is a must should be able to get 5 shot dime size groups. And I would have to be able to adjust the trigger to between 2 & 3 lbs. This 22 would be scoped and they would be practicing a lot prone w/ bipod, and sitting with and without shooting sticks. I am looking at the Ruger 77/22 and CZ 455 Varmint and was wondering what others would suggest. Thanks for any input.
Bill

You will probably get lots of different 22s recommended and I have my favorite to just like everyone else.

I like and use the Anschutz. and would highly recommend them . I have never had one that didn,t
shoot really good. I also have two Anschutz in 17 HMR and they are tack drivers.

They are Hi end rifles but well worth the money.

J E CUSTOM

Absolutely love my CZ 455. I have the full stock version and my brother has the varmint. We both did th eYoDave trigger spring jobs on them and took them down to 2-3lbs range. I don't think the heavy varmint barrel is necessary in 22lr and my brother wishes he had gotten the American or FS versions. My advice would be get the American and if you want a heavy barrel buy the Lilja. My FS with subsonic Eley ammo will shoot 1/2" at 50 yards (many groups in the .2-.3's but accompanied by some in he .6-.7's). That's the nature of .22 though. Fliers happen but my gun will hold MOA out past 100 yards. A scope capable of parallaxing down to 50 yards would help too. I really love ringing my smaller metal gongs out at 150-200 yards. The pitiful BC of a .22 LR will really force you to learn o read the wind. I would not hesitate one second in suggesting a CZ 455 as a practice gun for long range bolt action. That's exactly what I bought mine for.

I have a couple of Savage 22's, a BVSS thumbhole, and the TR which has a tactical stock. Both have good stocks with heavy barrels that give the weight, balance, and dimensions that make them good practice rifles with a feel that isn't much different from my high power rigs. They will both shoot 5 shot, 1/2" groups at 100 yards using Wolf, Federal, and Remington/Eley match grade ammo. My son in law just bought a TR and it shoots as well as mine. Great rifles for the money. iMHO.

I think for the money Savage rifles are hard to beat. My BTVLSS shoots great, it has a Mueller 4.5-14 APT on it, the parallax will adjust down to 15 yards.

This is 50 yards.

I think if you are looking for a trainer/hunter to duplicate the feel of a full size bolt gun I would look at CZ if your looking for a new gun. But I would look at used guns first. If you can find any used you could not do much better than a Kimber or Cooper. But old Remington's, Mossberg's, Winchesters or Savages would work for you.

If you want a full size rifle that handles like a centerfire rifle, you might see if you can find a Remington Model 541 or 541T (heavy barrel). I've had one for years and love it. Very accurate, very well made. Fells just like a Remington 700.

Remington 541T would be a good choice to feel like a 700. They shoot really well also. Another thought, Weidner's has/had some cz training rifles. Heavy and very accurate I hear and for about 250.

HI, my 541rem.w/weaver 4x is great! Hate the plastic magazines!wish a metal one was available. Another shooter is my Ruger 77varmint in .22mag. can't wait for squirrel season!!:D

I have most of the popular ones and the one that feels most like a real full sized bolt action rifle is the Winchester 52 and the Remington 40X.
I have to say I enjoy shooting 52's the best by far.

I have a CZ 452 and my brother-in-law has a Ruger 77/22. They both shoot about as well in the field, under actual hunting conditions. Buy the one you like the best. I could be happy forever with either one.

Another .22 cal that seems especially good is the Browning T-Bolt. I picked the CZ 452 over it because the CZ 452 had a better sense of balance to me. Another person mght like the T-Bolt better.

You can get a CZ 453 with a single set trigger, if you like that sort of thing.

The CZ 455 has quick change barrels, if that is an important feature for you.

All these rifles cost far less than an Anschutz, and will shoot as well under field conditions. All have very good workmanship and materials and will last more than a lifetime.

I have a CZ 452 and my brother-in-law has a Ruger 77/22. They both shoot about as well in the field, under actual hunting conditions. Buy the one you like the best. I could be happy forever with either one.

Another .22 cal that seems especially good is the Browning T-Bolt. I picked the CZ 452 over it because the CZ 452 had a better sense of balance to me. Another person mght like the T-Bolt better.

You can get a CZ 453 with a single set trigger, if you like that sort of thing.

The CZ 455 has quick change barrels, if that is an important feature for you.

All these rifles cost far less than an Anschutz, and will shoot as well under field conditions. All have very good workmanship and materials and will last more than a lifetime.

Value and accuracy wise I agree 100% on the CZ's I love my 453 Varmint and the 455 American is nice but I still like the 452/3's a little better. They are all super shooters and have a fair amount of aftermarket parts available for tweaking.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.