Best 10 x 40/42 binoc

My 50 year old eyes finally need better glass than my 35 year old Leica Trinovids, which were once the best you could get but now get beat by anything over $200. I'm trying to find binocs with good light transmission that have eye cups that fully seal to my face like the old Liecas and don't let light in around the edges. Every time I look through Swarovski ELs, the clarity and brightness astound me but my eyes are seeing around the edges as well as through the lenses. Every pair I try does this to some extent. With the candidates being the Swaros, Leupold Mojave, Vortex Razor, Zeiss (I forgot which model), I'm liking the Leupolds the best but as I said, they're far from perfect. Does anyone else have this problem and any suggestions?

Take a look at the review I did on the Kahles 10X42 binocular. These have superb optics and build quality and come with the winged eye cups you like. I was very close to requesting to purchase this bino after doing the eval. Only reason I didn't was due to upcoming expenditures. I think you'd be very happy with the performance of the Kahles and for the price, they are a steal!

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/kahles-10-42-binoculars-review-1.php

Geb

Last edited:
A few years back I was hunting on a ridge in Utah out by strawberry res. I ran into some other hunters and one of the guys had some swaro's bino. I have zeiss 10x40's. I looked through his and he looked through mine. I was able to tell a difference at the far extended ranges with the swaro's. Now the difference is what I paid and what he paid. I got mine through a friend of a friend's wife who is a rep for zeiss. Mine were less than half price. I didn't have to cry at all. But I can honestly say the swaro's are a little better than the zeiss on clarity at long ranges. My zeiss are also a little better than the Nikon monarch which when I got the zeiss that year another friend of mine got some Nikons monarck. We would compare them at long ranges as well. I was living in VA at the time and a bunch of us in our hunting club went on a western mully hunt in Wy. We were able to really see the difference in our binos when looking at mule deer 6 to 700 yards away. But hands down if I had the cash to spend I would go with swaros. Saying that I also managed to also get 2 4.5x14 zeiss scopes from the same rep that same year. I don't know how new the swaro I was looking through so it might be the glass has gotten better over the last 8 years. My scopes and bino's are 8 years old now but still work very well. I also had the privilege to look through a swaro spotting scope a few times and to this day I have not been behind a more clearer spotting scope. I havn't had the privilege to look through a lot of the higher end spotters but some of the run of the mill spotters cant hold a candle to the swaro that the guide had during our mully hunt. It hard to justify the cost of the swaro line of optics but you do get what you pay for in reguards to good optics. I don't know about how well they hold up to the elements and wear and tear. Well this is my plug on good clear optics.

Re: Best 10 x 40/42 binoc(MEOPTA)

A top line Meopta or Cabela's Infinity/Meopta will give you the performance of a Swarovski costing $1,000. more.

Try testing Meopta against other top brands, regardless of price, with standard optical tests for color rendition, resolution/clarity to the edges, twilight brilliance, and ruggedness. You will find Meopta is as good as it gets.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.