Besides Sierra....??

sscoyote

Who's got a high B.C. 6.5 bullet that'll deliver good terminal ballistics out to app. 700 yds. Gun= 6.5-284 XP PISTOL--16" barrel. Twist rate-- faster but can't remember exactly-- have to check.

Lapua 139gr scenar
Hornady 140gr a-max

[ 07-13-2003: Message edited by: JustC ]

JustC, will that A-Max expand, and produce a good wound channel at "lower" velocities/energy?? I've got some but i'm a little leary of their performance on elk.?

I was looking at the 140 Berger VLD, B.C. of .630, nice, but again terminal ballistics is everything-- any ideas/experiences??

[ 07-13-2003: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

I can't say from my own experience with the a-max as I too have a box but have not shot anything with them yet.

I would hypothesize that they should do as well as a Match king,..which seems to have quite a few followers here. I wish I could tell you more,..but like I said,..I havn't loaded my 162gr a-max bullets yet,..so I am working from information that I have been given by other shooters.

You know JustC, there's someboy around here that has taken a bunch of coyotes with that 162 A-Max at very long ranges with pretty good results. But i'd think that there's got to be a world of difference between terminal ballistics on coyotes and elk.

Hi Boys,
I'll tell ya, that 162Amax knocks the snot out of a whitetail. Dead Right NOW!
shocked.gif

338-378, I have seen P.B. #2,...and I would have to say that you are correct
grin.gif

sscoyote,...I take it you are the coyote vs a-max guy?
wink.gif
I have been planning on loading some up for my 7mm mag,...but have been working with a 300RUM lately and have never even tried the first recipe in the 7mm yet.
frown.gif
So many bullets,...so little time.

140g SST. Showing great results in my 270 and 300wsm. Don't know what they would do in the 6.5 but my guess is they would be great.
h

I've taken quite a few coyotes with the 7mm Amax, out to 630 yards. Got exits on all of them. One was hit frontal chest at over 600. Blew out his cojones and dropped him in his tracks.

They expand almost too well, at least for coyotes. Never use one on a coyote with good fur at under 300 yards, it's not worth the effort to walk out to him.

Check with your dealer about Norma Diamond Line, they have both formats; moly #66508 and copper #66509. It is a 130 grain HPBT with .548 BC. You can push it up to 2,900 fps with GREAT accuracy and Vihtavouri N560.

Tim,...what powder you getting good groups with?

sscoyote,..I guess we are gonna have to load some of these things up and try em out. Everyone else seems to be having great luck with them.
smile.gif

I don't belive I would attempt an elk with the A-max line of bullets.

They may be good for deer and Lopes but, elk are 6x to 8x bigger and the shoulders are massive in the big bulls.

The MKs jackets are thicker then many of the so called hunting bullets and have performed well for us on elk.

Even the JLK and Berger jackets are thinner then the MK but, also have done well on elk from reports.

If the barrel twist was an 8 to 8 1/2 and I was using a 6.5, I would use the 140 to 142 MK bullets in it especially if the range was at 600 to 800 yards. You will be surprised as to what it will do.
Of course shot placement means a lot.

DC

Darryl

I agree based on my deer experience with the A-max. Three very dead deer but they were all shot in the lung area without hitting any bone. If I knew I would hit the elk in the lung area for sure I would try it. My guess would be they are not strong enough to penetrate an elk's shoulder. I'd like to cut apart a 30 cal JLK to compare jacket thickness to my 7mm MK, A-max and Cauterucio disected samples. Could someone mail me one, please. I may use a 30 cal JLK on elk this fall.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.