Bergers WAY off the lands?

Colby

I've got a 7/300 Wby, built on a Rem 721 action. I'm experimenting with some new loads and bought some Bergers to try. I was doing some measuring and found that if I load them short enough to fit in the mag, they are about .160" off the lands. Anybody had any experience with giving them that much of a run?

Thanks in advance.

Colby

Russ,
I have read that thread. It talks about 0 to .150 off, so I didn't know if there was an issue with going beyond .150.

I've shot Berger VLD's from jammed into the lands to way off the lands with acceptable accuracy from many different rifles. Usually.... the VLD's like to be "close" to the lands.
The only way you are going to know if your rifle is going to like them that far away is to try them...

I load them to fit the magazine in my 7stw and 300 ultra. I tried loading them close to the lands but they didn't group good. My 7stw shoots amazing with the 180 grainers even though it is a 9.5 twist and a 9 twist is recommended. Check out my 1000 yard groups in long range hunting and shooting.

My custom .308 will shoot them fairly well when loaded to the magazine length. That puts the VLDs @ over .125" off the rifling. However, @ .125" off the Nosler Accubond will shoot noticeably better. The Accubonds will put ever bullet in a 1.25" orange dot @ 200 yds with regularity.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.