Berger vs. Whitetail <<GRAPHIC PHOTOS>>

SQ Stalker

Seeing Kiwi3006's post again reminded me to post my Berger pics from last season.
This was my first harvest since I started shooting the Bergers. They shoot great on paper but this is what I really wanted to see from the bullets. The doe dropped where she was shot.

The load was a 150gr .277 VLD at 3,000 fps at the muzzle. Using 60gr H4831 and 215M primers.

The shot was at 90 yards on a 150lb doe that was quartering toward me. The second picture shows how the bullet fragmented and the damage on the back side of the rib cage was 3 ribs wide. There were small pieces of jacket under the hide but the majority of the bullet exited. The insides were similar to kiwi3006's, blended well.

Both pictures are of the exit hole. The entrance hole was small.

This has made me a Berger believer!

108_0642.jpg

108_0645.jpg

Thank you very much for posting those pictures that was what I wanted to see for myself before I jumped on the berger band wagon for my 7mm rem mag. The only question I have is where did the bullet enter, through the front shoulder or just behind the shoulder. Thanks again, JRW

I got about the same results on the only deer I shot at 111 yards with the 30 cal 155 VLD at 2650 fps muzzle velocity from my 30X47 HBR. Bullet entered the center of one shoulder and exited the other and left a hole that you could drop a baseball into. It made pulp out of the vitals and scattered lung tissue on the off side for about 10 yards. Deer took off like it was shot out of a cannon and ran about 50 yards and did not leave any blood trail. There was nothing left to pump any blood out. It never ceases to amaze me how much some deer can take and still run off a ways. With the same shot placement I have taken quite a few deer with this rifle and the 125 Nosler ballistic tip at 2850 fps and they drop in their tracks.

Thank you very much for posting those pictures that was what I wanted to see for myself before I jumped on the berger band wagon for my 7mm rem mag. The only question I have is where did the bullet enter, through the front shoulder or just behind the shoulder. Thanks again, JRW

jrw: Honestly I don't remember where the bullet entered. Sorry

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.