Berger vs Phone book (read rednek boolit test)

Limbic

7mm Remmy Mag with 180gr Berger and MV of 2800 gun)

It plowed throught 5 2/3 semi moist phone books at 100yrds.

80.7gr of retained weight. Mostly jacket.

Pretty much what I was hoping to find.

Funny it stopped pretty much on the alcoholic page. Since I'm pretty much an addict I guess this was not surprising. Shooting addict that is.:D

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

Cool test. Thanks for sharing. Looks like the bullet performed just the way Berger says they will.

I understand your addiction completely. The only way to reduce the frequency and intensity of the withdrawal pains is to shoot more!

I would advise you to repeat this test at longer range to determine bullet performance at various velocities.

That is cool. How many total inches of penetration did you get? What did the hole through the other 5 phone books look like?

DSC_0054.jpg
The bullet went throught 5 2/3 phone books. Semi moist books at that. I guess that is about three inches per book so roughly 14-15 inches.

Here is a pic of the back of the 5th phone book. I'm sure you recognize the guy Bo. I didn't mean to shoot him in the head :D

Hey Limbic, I have some 180 Bergers that I tried in my STW. Can't get them to shoot. You want to buy them or trade. I am in Flora MS. Anyone done the phone book test with a 210 30 cal Berger? I do some deer depredation shooting and man do they do a number on a doe deer in a 300 Winnie.

Missed.....looks like a complete lobatamy to me:)

16 inches in wet phone book translates into ????? in actual muscle and flesh? I have shot completely through a whitetail basicly from corner to corner using a berger bullet. I would say quite a bit more than 16 inches of penetration in flesh and bone and that was with a 168. Made a complete mess of everything but surprisingly little meat damage. I would guess that the 180s would penetrate better. I am trying to decide on my backup rifle for an elk hunt this year and cannot decide between a 7mm/338Lapua and 30/338Lapua improved but am leaning toward the 7mm since seeing this. Thanks for sharing.

You missed! I thought you shot attorneys between the eyes.

I'm working on a load for 180's. If I can get them to shoot I'll buy yours for sure. I'd like to try them on a depreditation shoot. Hint hint.

Hey Limbic, I have some 180 Bergers that I tried in my STW. Can't get them to shoot. You want to buy them or trade. I am in Flora MS. Anyone done the phone book test with a 210 30 cal Berger? I do some deer depredation shooting and man do they do a number on a doe deer in a 300 Winnie.

I have not done a phone book test with the 210's, however I have shot into a 15 gallon plastic barrel completely full of water. I placed the barrel at 975 meters, or 1,066 yards and shot a nice 3 shot group clean through it before the water drained out! I was a bit suprised, as I was expecting to be retreiving bullet remnants from inside the barrel. A 14" solid column of water? I got a new barrel, layed it down and shot into the end of it so I was able to retreive my bullet that time. It is out of a 300 Wby running at 2,960fps. Impact velocity at that distance is about 1610fps at sea level, hope this helps.

Chuck I got some pretty good groups with Retumbo. MV of about 2920. How many pills do you have? Where do you usually shoot? Shoot me a pm.

I tried that with my 6.5-284 with 140 Berger VLD at 300 yards and it went through 2 phone books, did not recover the bullet. Pretty good performance at 300 yds. though.

-X3M

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.