Berger VLD vs. Nosler Ballistic Tip

brockel

Im wondering which one to use for my long range antelope and mule deer hunting. I cant decide between the 115 grain Berger VLD or the 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip in my .257 weatherby. I have heard that the bergers are not accurate unless they are into the lands but i cant touch them with my .257 unless i use it just as a single shot, which i dont want to do. So will the bergers still be accurate without touching the lands or should i just go with the 115 grain nosler ballistic tip.

Im wondering which one to use for my long range antelope and mule deer hunting. I cant decide between the 115 grain Berger VLD or the 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip in my .257 weatherby. I have heard that the bergers are not accurate unless they are into the lands but i cant touch them with my .257 unless i use it just as a single shot, which i dont want to do. So will the bergers still be accurate without touching the lands or should i just go with the 115 grain nosler ballistic tip.

my bergers are very accurate without jamming to the lands...

I seat them deeper so I can shoot repeater in my 700. Don't like the single shot idea either.

they are still extremely accurate.... they shine out past 250-300

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23490

go look at this... my post shows my results...

you can still eject...

Last edited:
257 Weatherby

Brockel,
I shoot the .257 Weatherby and both of my rifles are Weatherby's. The 115 ballistic tip is what I use and have had excellent results both on game and target with this bullet using H-1000 powder w/3.305 COL. I have not tried the Berger bcause of the performance of the ballistic tip is so good for me. I've taken antelope, mule deer and caribou with that bullet. The big caribou (see page 9 of the '07 Wthrby catalog ) I shot was at 335 yards quartering to slightly, broke both shoulders, spine and found the jacket under the offside hide, he never moved. This was the heaviest bone I have put the bullet to. All other game was double lunged and they maybe took a step or two, those bullets all exited.
That said I would be interested if someone is shooting the 115 berger in the Weatherby freebored chamber dimensions using the magazine.

brockel,
FWIW-All I ever use for hunting is single-shots (Specialty pistols). I do not hunt dangerous game, but I have never felt handicapped using a SS. Even with a single-shot you can load that second shot quite quickly if needed. When elk hunting my philosphy is if that elk is still up I keep sending them. I haven't lost an animal to date because of using a SS.

One shot kills

brockel,
I never needed more than 1 round to kill any of the animals I shot with either of those .257 Weatherby's!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.