Berger VLD or Barnes TSX

Qaqmire

Guys

i was wondering if some of you guys are using the 30 cal berger VLD to hunt or would you prefer using a barnes TSX instead

weight would be 180 grs or close

tks Qaq

I'm using the berger 190 vld in a .308 win. Incredible performance. No barrel fouling. They kill stuff amazingly. small entrance wound w/ very large exit wound. you won't be sorry. There bc is very high and there cheaper. Also make sure you seat them at or into the lands.

i think i will order some and try them out, i have been debating for some time but you seem to be happy with them
i'll try to work up a load this winter to be ready for next fall

tks Qaq

I am shooting the 185/190 Berger VLD's out of a 20" 308. I get 2650 at the muzzle using 47g of Varget, Lapua brass and Federal 210 primers. Way over any max load listed but have no pressure signs in my rifle. I have a long freebore throat and load my cartridges to 3.107" overall length. That seats the bullets into the lands so the marks are square. Since the rifle is a short action it is now a single shot with this load. It shoots ~ 1/2 at 100y. Haven't worked it out further yet.

Qagmire, Try H4831sc for the 190's as I feel varget is a little fast burning for that weight of bullet. You'll get better velocity with this powder and bullet combo. I'm using 48 grains of it which is not even close to listed max load. I don't feel I need to load this bullet to hot that's what magnums are for. So here's the load: Berger 190vld, I'm using once fired federal brass(doesn't really matter what you use) 48 grains of h4831sc, federal gm 210 primers. I use a vld deburring tool on the necks. I'm seating these bullets slighltly into the lands. I'm getting 5 shot groups in the .2's and .3's with a ruger vt .308.

Linksmechanic,
I have always been interested in the bergers but have not had a chance to try them yet. How well do they work when a shooter holds to hit bone? I am a big fan of the high shoulder shot but have always been leary of how well this bullet will do against heavy bone.
Thanks,
Levi

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.