Berger to make .338 bullets

I asked a Berger rep that has been a friend of mine for years if he had heard of a 338 bullet coming out and he said that the only new bullets he had heard of were 270's.

Can I ask where you heard this?

Someone on another site just got an email from Berger saying they were about to tool up for two .338 bullets. The weights were not set yet, but one VLD design and something else. I already asked a couple days ago, but I have not heard back yet from Berger.

"Update"

Eric at Berger has said that most likely they will start at 250 and go to 300 grains. They will offer a VLD and standard tanget bullet.

I doubt they will do a 300 gr VLD bullet as they may run into trouble with a 1-10 twist in the slower chambered 338 rounds if they get to long in bullet length.

If they do this they will cut their feet right out from under themselves for sales reasons.

If I had to predict a bullet weight it would be no heavier then 270-275 gr and have the same or slightly higher BC then a 300 gr SMK.

They will not get to radical with their bullet weights. Same reason the 30 cals stop where they do. They work well in all standard twist and thats why they sell, because everyone can use them in most anything out there.

If you get to specialized the sales will go down.

Again, I may be wrong but I doubt we will ever see a 300 gr VLD from Berger. Hope I am wrong though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

If they are looking to be direct competition with the 300 gr SMK, they do not need 300 gr of bullet weight to do it and in the smaller 338 rounds, a lighter bullet will be an advantage for higher velocity with equal BC to a 300 gr SMK.

Just my thinking....

Kirby Allen(50)

It sure would be nice if they make a 338 bullet with a BC over .800.I'm planning on having my Edge completed at the end of the year,and would like to have a few more choices for heavy 338 bullets.

[ QUOTE ]
Can I ask where you heard this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Daveosok1 called walt to discuss about some bullet perfomance on a 225lb hog and durring the discussion he asked about 338 bullets. Walt told him that he is waiting on dies for the 338's and it would be soon ( soon to me is 6-7 months).

d-a

That sounds like a viable source! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I am so glad to hear that it is on their drawing board and thanks for posting this. I will forget about testing more 300 grain MK's in my 338 project in anticipation of these Berger VLD's!

I actually got an email from Eric at Berger.

They are in the process of building a press for the 338 bullets. The current presses they have do not have enough stroke to do the 338 bullets.

I'm guessing here but around 7 to 12 months possibly.

They will be offered in 250 and 300 grain VLD and Standard Tangent.

I am also looking forward to this as the performance of their current bullets is top of the line.

I hope they move on to 375 caliber too and give us some great high performance bullets too.

Here's the actualy script from the email;
"I know that we will likely be making something in the neighborhood of 250 and 300 grains. We are going to make both a VLD (high BD) and a standard tangent bullet (easier to make shoot)."

I think Berger knows best what to make and lets all hope they do the VLD for both.

Fifty

The reason they stop at 210 is because Sierra wont release the rights to use the 240 jackets. This is the explanation I've gotten from Berger and JLK said they wont produce the 338 bullets because they cant get their hands on J-4 jackets. Berger told me this over the phone and email and JLK told me this in an email.

Dave

Awsome a 250-300gr VLD in my new improved 338-300 ultra improved they should be awsome even if the 250gr VLD has the same BC as the 300gr Sierra then they will stabalise in the same twist barrels but we will be able to push them harder making an even better long range combination. the 300gr VLD's also may be awsome i would love to hear what the proposed BC of them is and if they will be to long to feed through a 3.9" mag in my 338WBX

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.