Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

Wow! I sure am glad I built mine last year with a 8.5 twist. Bat HR with a 28 inch kreiger been shooting the 168 and took one heck of a mulie at 940 yards in 2011 (225 3/8 net b&c officially scored 6 days ago) with it. When my buddy told me about the new 195 berger hybrid I just figured it was another target bullet but this says hunting now I am going to have to buy a box to test. Seems load developement never ends. I may have under built with just a 7mm mag but getting 3190 fps with the 168 wonder if I can get 3000 fps from the 195. If I can and all my number crunching is correct on sierras infinity calculator that passes my 168 on velocity at 850 yards and has 5 inches less 10 mph wind drift at 1000 yards. Velocity stays above 1900 fps well past 1200 yards. I really need a box and a few days in my reloading room and at the range after these come out. Then watch out. Gotta love berger they just keep getting better.

Monarchelk,

Don't think you'll get 3000 with the 195 and your 28" barrel. I built a 30" 7 rem mag and topped out at 3050 fps with the 180 VLDs.

Regardless you should give the 195s a try.

Congrats on your deer!

Well everyone here who knows me is aware I shoot green box. This new pill may just be the ticket for the Warp 7 in competition trim! Am watching this with both eyes!!!!!

is an 8.5 twist the confirmed going to work?

ready to place a new barrel order with Krieger

should i go 8.5 or 8 to be safe?

Certainly, the mass+BC will be useful for LRH.

But I've been thinking of building a 7RSAUM for f-class.

With much written about the practical difference between 168's vs 180's for all but the top shooters, it'll be interesting to see how this shakes out as a potential match bullet.

In other words, will the added mass+faster twist+torque diminish one's precision in some given rifle/weight class more than the gain from a higher BC.

I wonder if a progressive twist would help minimize those negatives in addition to copper fouling as mentioned by Bryan?

-- richard

Like a few others have posted.. I too would be very interested to see how these 195's will stand-up to the velocities of the STW's, ULTRAS, ALLENS and Lazzeroni chamberings...

Also will be keeping an ear to the ground reguarding this 8.5 twist suggestion.. no doubt will be up for a barrel before long on my own Lazz - if these bullets stand-up to speed, that barrel will be threaded-on to shoot them...

Interesting times ahead..

We are hoping these will be ready to ship out by the beginning of June along with the 270 170's as well.

Sorry to take so long to get back to this thread. I will echo Bob's comment that the 7mm is planned for June. The 270 cal ultra heavy bullet is planned for April. Please keep in mind that we are making something that is passed the extreme edge of what we have done before. This means that things may happen that we've not seen before that could delay these bullet.

Regarding twist rate it is important to keep in mind that the twist rate we recommend is based on the worst case scenario (sea level and cold). It is likely that a slightly slower twist rate will work at different air densities (higher elevation and warmer temperatures) but the specifics won't be known until it is tried. The good news is that if it won't work you will know within a few shots.

Another point that came up is whether this bullet will be available for target shooters. This bullet has been designed and will be made first for the hunters. There was a point when we weren't sure if the Hybrid design works as a hunting bullet. This is the primary reason we made the first Hybrid bullets for Target shooters only. Since we know the Hybrid design does work for hunting, we can go straight to making this ultra heavy 7mm into a hunting bullet.

One thing to consider is that these ultra heavy bullets may suffer the same issues as the Gen 1 338 cal bullet (which is being reintroduced as a Hunting bullet). Our first test will be on bullets with jackets made for hunting. If we run into problems, one of the things we can try is to make it with a thicker jacket which is used on our target bullets. This is entirely speculation at this point but the good news is that we know we can make a bullet that will withstand more abuse. The challenge is sorting out whether or not these things will be necessary.

Regards,
Eric

I will be sure to give these a try. Not sure on the twist though as I have a 8.75 twist Rock on my long action 7saum. I am shooting the 180's between 1/3 and 1/2 moa to 600 now and just haven't gotten to 1000 yet. Info looks positive.

Eric,

I'm am enthused regarding the April release date for the heavy 277 offering.

Even after the large expense, to me :rolleyes:, in development of a heavier 277 projectile that will stand the vigor of an 8 twist, 3 groove bore @ 3300+ FPS, I will happily cease development efforts as all I want is for the extreme magnum to be an extreme magnum.

A new barrel is en route at the moment to replace the existing one. I'll not be wasting time, $, bullets or barrel wear on this one.

Though you will most probably put my idea out of bidness I'm appreciative of Berger's desire to forge ahead with their support of the long range shooter community.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.