Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

This bullet is exactly what I have been looking for. With a 8.5 twist, what will be the maximum speed it can withstand? I have a custom 7mm RUM. Looks like time to get a 7 Allen mag now!

this could puch me over the edge, I think I may need a 7 AM. Thanks to the guys at Berger! Im still waiting on the 300 OTM in my neck of the woods!

I'm saddened......

Like Santa Claus on his donkey, the 270 cal is out on its *** in the snow, again...:rolleyes:

Guess I'll keep on trucking w/my repointing project.....:(

Could we get a little more detail on the 270 cal 170 gr bullet as well, going to set up a new chambering on that bullet too.

1.52" long
170 grains
Recommended twist 1:8.5"
Estimated G1 BC: 0.703
Estimated G7 BC: 0.360

Note these are estimates, actual performance is typically within +/- 5% of estimates.

Topshot,
If the extra long bullet doesn't cause a copper fouling problem on long strings of fire typical of match shooting, there's no reason it wouldn't be a good choice for a match bullet. Berger's match and hunting bullets are made to the same precision standards.

As for an upper speed limit, that remains to be seen. Considering it's made on the same thickness jacket as the 180 VLD hunting, it should be able to withstand velocities similar to the 180 VLD's max limit. I'm not even sure what that is; would estimate 3300-3400...?

-Bryan

Woops!!!! Fired to soon.......again.......when will I ever get over that..........??????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Get me some and I'll wring 'em out. Out of my own pocket, even. That's how important the 277 offerings are.....

Eric/Bryan my apologies for my lack of faith and patience.:rolleyes:

Whoooo Hoooo

Woops!!!! Fired to soon.......again.......when will I ever get over that..........??????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Get me some and I'll wring 'em out. Out of my own pocket, even. That's how important the 277 offerings are.....

Eric/Bryan my apologies for my lack of faith and patience.:rolleyes:

Whoooo Hoooo

Dang it Roy, don't scare anyone off!!!:D:D

brian or eric,

Is there an equation that you might be able to share that equates bullet speed to needed twist? the reason I ask is that if I send these at 3000fps will a 1-9" work? I literally just got a barrel a week ago and dont want to put it on if this bullet wont work in it. Also if all I intend to shoot is your 180gr vld and this new 195gr bullet then is a 1-8' TOO FAST? I am going to use a 7mmLRM (7/375 ruger) and so I would like to make sure I get this all right before I spend the $800 to finish the gun.

Lastly you said that they are supposed to be done "by the time your barrel will be ready" so that means in 2 months? Thanks again for all the help.

The 8 twist barrels generally start to tear the 180s apart at velocities over about 3150-3200 area. Hopefully these will work with 9 twist barrels.

i had a 7rum a few years ago and shot the 180's at 3250 and i didn't have any trouble with bullets coming apart. it had a 7 twist

Brian,
is the 8.5x a minimum, and could it be said that an 8x would be better?
For a 7 cal that shoots the 180's at 3200fps with the 9x, is going to an 8x for the heavier bullet going to not allow shooting the 180's without them pulling apart?
In other words, shooting the 180's in an 8x twist barrel at 3200fps going to blow them up?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.