Berger recipe

Remember, companies that use a lot of powder might not be using one of the canister powders we can buy at the local gun store. They might have powder that is specially formulated and tested for them. The fact that it looks like Magpro does NOT mean it will have the same burn characteristics as Magpro.

I'm shooting Ramshot MAGNUM with the 215's and getting 3030 FPS in a WM. I found that 3030fps was the sweet spot for this rifle. When I switched LOT NO.'s I had to increase the charge substantially. Like almost 2.0 gr of powder to get my velocity back. It groups right there with the "old batch" and accuracy/ES/SD, is the same. Just a larger charge weight.

So, bergers manual might be referencing a different LOT of powder than what they loaded in their ammo. YMMV.

I've tried to do the same thing, pulling Bullets, weighing and examining the powder trying to ID it. Doesn't work. It's a blended or custom powder made for them for that specific load. Hornady and Federal do it all the time.

Remember, companies that use a lot of powder might not be using one of the canister powders we can buy at the local gun store. They might have powder that is specially formulated and tested for them. The fact that it looks like Magpro does NOT mean it will have the same burn characteristics as Magpro.
That's a fact I've taken factory bullets a part to find out it's a blend power designed for the manufacturing for certain companies

it is NOT over book max because the coal is DIFFERENT.
THHE MIL MK248MOD1 IS 3.5
WHEN I LOAD 230'S I GO TO 3.6 WITH SAME THROAT.
( assuming it is mag pro...big assumption)
That could very well be the difference also I don't know the legal liabilities for a company going above book max but we all know they are very conservative

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.