berger in a 270wsm

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by bake, May 1, 2009.

1. bake

bake New Member

This is my first thread on here, so I am sorry if this question has been asked before. I just bought a box of 150gr hunting VLD's. Has anyone tried these yet in their 270wsm? I got some info from berger.

Bake

2. shootinfool

shootinfool Well-Known Member

I have not tried them but am very interested in your results, and anyone else's for that matter. I was wondering myself about the 140 grainers. Definately keep us posted on this one.

3. steve smith

steve smith Well-Known Member

I've used the 150gr VLDs in my 270win, and I'm very satisfied with them. Though I'm considering switching to the 130gr VLD, simply because I really don't need the heavier bullet. The VLDs performed very well on paper and game. I'm sold.

I'm pushing the 150gr @ 3080fps or so in a 28" barrel. Your WSM should be able to push it close to 3100 with a 24" barrel.

4. jmason

jmason Well-Known Member

I've used them in a 270 WIN w/ 26" barrel and they seem to be very accurate. I haven't completed load development yet.

5. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I'm working with some 140gr bergers out of my 270 WSM and they shot well. I'm running them @ 3385 fps.
    Took it out last weekend and punched a coyote and I don't think they opened, one shot center punched the shoulder rolling it then got up and got into a draw and it popped out @ a little over 500yd and center punched him again and that did him.
    I was not expecting them to be a good for varmits but I need the practice for this fall.
    They sure are a sexy projectile, I'll shoot some deer with the Berger and the AccuBond this fall, I really like both.

6. bake

bake New Member

Bigngreen. What powder,how much and what was the COAL?

Bake

7. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I'm using 71gr of Rutumbo, Fed 215's with a COAL of 2.841 which is 15 thou. of the lands in my Savage model 12 26in barrel.
    I've got to reshoot the Bergers with this load again as when I was prepping brass for this weeked I found that I got some Win, brass in with the Rem. When I shot them over the crony I had two speeds an I could not figure it out, I had 3285 and 3385 averages so I loaded a bunch up to recheck, one group was .385.
    Accubonds shoot 3341 fps under 1/2 MOA.