Berger Hybrid bullets

yotehunter243

Anyone have any experience with the hybrids. Im curious, as I would like to try them in my 6-284. Especially if the are easier to tame then the VLD

Are you asking about accuracy or terminal performance?

The only way to know for sure is to try them in your rifle.

I've had good results with the OTMs on paper. But, I haven't tried them on game yet.

-- richard

My rifle absolutesly LOVES the Hybrids. My best group, so far, is about 1/2" @ 604 yds. They hit like a hammer on coyotes, antelope, and deer. I have mine .015 off the lands in my long throated, custom, 7mm SAUM. Good luck.

I am thinking you will be happy you tried them! We just returned from a trip to New Zealand with Eric Stecker from Berger Bullets. All of us used the hybrid bullets for the duration of the hunt. With combined kills of almost 100 animals, all the way out to the 1000 yard mark, I would say they work great!

Good luck with them!

If I were new here I would look at Bob Beck's reply and think " riiiight...he hunts with Eric. What else is he going to say?" But.....he's right. I bought a couple boxes to try against my usual .338 SMK's. After I worked up a load, we went out and warmed up at 1000yds, moved back to 1200yds, then set up for 1760. (I had already went out and worked up my drops to 1000). I was consistantly shooting higher and with slightly less wind drift than the Sierras. I'm happy.
Do a search on this site and you will see how people feel about the new OTMT Berger.

LRSickle,

Glad to hear they are working for you too! We have had great success with them so far. My pet lately has been the 30 cal 230's. I am very lucky to be partnered with such a great group of people over at Berger. We are getting closer every week on getting the new EOL/Berger extreme heavy hybrids out. Once I get that data, I will be hopping on here and there giving the guys the updates. The first one out of the gate is our 170 grain .277, then after we knock off the bugs if any, it will be the 7mm 195's right after...

LRSickle,

Glad to hear they are working for you too! We have had great success with them so far. My pet lately has been the 30 cal 230's. I am very lucky to be partnered with such a great group of people over at Berger. We are getting closer every week on getting the new EOL/Berger extreme heavy hybrids out. Once I get that data, I will be hopping on here and there giving the guys the updates. The first one out of the gate is our 170 grain .277, then after we knock off the bugs if any, it will be the 7mm 195's right after...

so in your prospective does the 7mm 180gr hybrid target bullet (only hybrid for the 7mm) going to perform on game as the 180 hunting vld will? I want to make one load and stick with it. constantly changing seating depth is a pain so I want to do this as little as possible. I plan on using the 195's yet I doubt they will be out in june as previously stated, any help would be appreciated.

I am thinking you will be happy you tried them! We just returned from a trip to New Zealand with Eric Stecker from Berger Bullets. All of us used the hybrid bullets for the duration of the hunt. With combined kills of almost 100 animals, all the way out to the 1000 yard mark, I would say they work great!

Good luck with them!

bob can you expand on this? bullet, caliber, distance, muzzle velocity? thanks again.

I have a heavy 28" 6mm-284 with 1 in 7.5 twist. It was built to use the 115 DTACs which never shot very well. Read the 115 VLD would come apart as would the 105 A-max. Moved to the 107 sierras and they withstood the abuse at 3400 fps. Then the 105 Hybrid came along. I heard they were seating depth insensitive so I seated them to fit a wyatt's mag box OAL approx 2.950" Worked up a load and never had to alter the seating depth which is a .065" jump. Very accurate out to 500 M, the farthest target we have at our range.

BOB: Would like to hear what bullets were used to shoot those 100 animals. Also, Bob which 230 gr 30 cal bullet? OTM or target?

I have a heavy 28" 6mm-284 with 1 in 7.5 twist. It was built to use the 115 DTACs which never shot very well. Read the 115 VLD would come apart as would the 105 A-max. Moved to the 107 sierras and they withstood the abuse at 3400 fps. Then the 105 Hybrid came along. I heard they were seating depth insensitive so I seated them to fit a wyatt's mag box OAL approx 2.950" Worked up a load and never had to alter the seating depth which is a .065" jump. Very accurate out to 500 M, the farthest target we have at our range.

BOB: Would like to hear what bullets were used to shoot those 100 animals. Also, Bob which 230 gr 30 cal bullet? OTM or target?

what is your load with these? I just finished ordering 200 Hybrids. these things are hard to find. I plan on first trying H1000 and Fed 210m primers and then move to H4350

6mm-284 load:

No turn neck, 6.5-284 Lapua brass, 105 berger hybrid, Fed 210 match, 58 gr of Retumbo, vel 3307 from 28" barrel. Using # 272 Redding S bushing in a FL S bushing die.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.