Berger Elite Hunter 338's

NZ Longranger

Has anyone tried the new Berger Elite Hunter 300gn 338 at 3250fps plus in the Cheytac based chamberings? We were hunting with them in the weekend out of my 338 Lunatic beyond 1000 yards out to 1400 yards. On a hind (doe) at 1045 yards the bullet got there ok and flattened her with great terminal performance, but the next shot at a Red stag at just under 1400 yards just seemed to disappear. Then the shot after that at another hind also disappeared.
Yesterday I shot them at our mile gong out of the 338 Thor doing 3100fps and they all got there ok? What have Berger changed from the original Gen 1's that had issues? We've been shooting the OTM's with great success and never had one not get there, but if the Elite Hunter's will expand even better we would like to use them. We're nearly out of OTM's and due to order another bulk lot in.
Certainly have had no issues with the 250gn EH at 3300fps and the 300gn EH at 3000fps in the 338FX (Lapua imp).
Eric, Bryan, can you comment on this please?
Thanks,
Greg

Yes used the 300gr in my Lapua with Reloader 33.

Very accurate and plan on using the 250gr in my 338 Win

The only part of your question that I can answer is that the Elite Hunters have thinner jackets than the OTM's. If you are having problems with the Elite Hunters coming apart in flight, the OTM's may be the answer to your problem.

Yes, we have been using the OTM's for a couple of years now at 3250fps out of our 338 Lunatics, but having used the Elite Hunters in the 338FX we thought we'd try them at the 250fps faster 338 Lunatic velocities to hopefully get even better long range expansion. As I said, they group fine at close range, but I'm not sure they're getting there past 1000 yards consistently.
This question is directed to anyone else who has tried the 300gn Elite Hunter at Cheytac velocities, over 3200fps. Or to Eric or Bryan at Berger.
Thanks,
Greg

The Elite Hunter's went back to the thinner jacket. The Gen II OTMs have a thicker jacket. You may not have an option but to wait for the OTMs unless you change bullets completely. Have you considered SMKs in the meantime?

Yes, I'm aware the OTM's we've been shooting for 2 years now have a thicker jacket than the Gen1's and the Elite Hunters. We've also been shooting the SMK's for many years, and still find them possibly the most accurate bullet out of our 338 Lunatics but like the higher BC of the Bergers, especially when hunting.
Again, has anyone shot the 300gn Elite Hunter at 3200fps plus at 1000 yards plus, or does anyone know someone who has? I would like to hear someone else's actual experience and see if it mirrors what we saw.

I think you'll find kiwi Greg is shooting them at around 3400 out of his cheytac based wildcat with good results.

We just had a big problem with Bergers at 2900 fps on a moose at 100 yards. They exploded and did not penetrate as expected it was ugly took three shots. We have to change something.

Shoulder, neck, and back quartering away. Was advised that the bullet entered in the hind quarter and never made it to the diaphragm this was the last shot in an attempt to put it down

I have been shooting the 300 Elite Hunters out of my 338 DCM at over 3400 fps without any issues.

They appear to have the same speed & ballistics of the 300 OTM

I have shot them past 2000 yards with no problems of them "disappearing" even out of a warm/hot barrel.

Also havent had any trouble with them shooting rocks past 12-1400 yards.

I sectioned some projectiles in December last year to roughly find out for myself the jacket thickness.

Gen 1, 22 thou.
Elite Hunter, 25 thou.
OTM, 29 thou.
SMK, 23 thou.

I use a 1-10 36" Lilja barrel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.