Berger bullets

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by tayhot, Dec 19, 2009.

1. tayhot

tayhot Well-Known Member

So as I have posted in some of my other threads, you could tell I am a Barnes TTSX fan. However, I did want to try the Bergers in 300 RUM. I loaded some 185's up with 94 gr of Retumbo and seated the bullets @ 3.600" like the rest of my loads. I shot 2 groups of 5 shots and got 4" groups. Obviously a huge problem. I want to give them a fair chance so should I seat them taller? My OAL is 3.808 with them in my OAL gauge. Would 3.700" make that much difference?

2. NomadPilot

NomadPilot Well-Known Member

3. tayhot

tayhot Well-Known Member

i did read it, but can .1" make that much difference?

4. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

I doubt it. Only way to know is to experiment with powder, charge weight, seating depth, but most significantly - bullets. Your rifle may not like the Bergers. Only way to know is fuss with them for a while. I personally don't put too much time into a bullet that shoots 4" groups at 100 yds if my rifle has already proven itself capable of less than 1" groups with other bullets. I lick my wounds and move on to a different bullet.

You might try seating a few out into the lands and see if that helps reduce group size. I can't tell from your post if you've tried that yet, even if your mag box won't allow it, by loading them single shot style. That's how I shoot the VLDs in 3 different rifles with very good accuracy.

5. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Amen to that! I shoot two different rifles like that also.

6. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

We loaded two rifles this year that have never or rarely went under MOA and this year with 210 Bergers they both went around 1/2 MOA consistently, we used to load Barnes in everything, no more!
    My 270 WSM was the most particular .015 of the lands is staying under 1/2 MOA, if I go up or down .005 it blows out to 1.5in. It has never seen Barnes bullets so, as you are doing in the interest of fairness, I have two loads of 110gr TTSX's under some R17 to try out tomorrow. They are intented for coyote loads.
    Good luck.:D

7. skandlus

skandlus Well-Known Member

for the 270wsm we just used a can of rl17 @ 60gr and 140vlds... havent chrono'd yet, but as far as groups, it shoots lights out!