Berger bullets

tayhot

So as I have posted in some of my other threads, you could tell I am a Barnes TTSX fan. However, I did want to try the Bergers in 300 RUM. I loaded some 185's up with 94 gr of Retumbo and seated the bullets @ 3.600" like the rest of my loads. I shot 2 groups of 5 shots and got 4" groups. Obviously a huge problem. I want to give them a fair chance so should I seat them taller? My OAL is 3.808 with them in my OAL gauge. Would 3.700" make that much difference?

I doubt it. Only way to know is to experiment with powder, charge weight, seating depth, but most significantly - bullets. Your rifle may not like the Bergers. Only way to know is fuss with them for a while. I personally don't put too much time into a bullet that shoots 4" groups at 100 yds if my rifle has already proven itself capable of less than 1" groups with other bullets. I lick my wounds and move on to a different bullet.

You might try seating a few out into the lands and see if that helps reduce group size. I can't tell from your post if you've tried that yet, even if your mag box won't allow it, by loading them single shot style. That's how I shoot the VLDs in 3 different rifles with very good accuracy.

You might try seating a few out into the lands and see if that helps reduce group size. I can't tell from your post if you've tried that yet, even if your mag box won't allow it, by loading them single shot style. That's how I shoot the VLDs in 3 different rifles with very good accuracy.

Amen to that! I shoot two different rifles like that also.

We loaded two rifles this year that have never or rarely went under MOA and this year with 210 Bergers they both went around 1/2 MOA consistently, we used to load Barnes in everything, no more!
My 270 WSM was the most particular .015 of the lands is staying under 1/2 MOA, if I go up or down .005 it blows out to 1.5in. It has never seen Barnes bullets so, as you are doing in the interest of fairness, I have two loads of 110gr TTSX's under some R17 to try out tomorrow. They are intented for coyote loads.
Good luck.:D

for the 270wsm we just used a can of rl17 @ 60gr and 140vlds... havent chrono'd yet, but as far as groups, it shoots lights out!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.