Berger bullets

FergusBailey

Hi guys. Long time - no post.

Cant recall the last time I posted here and have been busy as hell the last few years. But, I have a hunt coming up and am interested to hear your comments on the performance of Berger bullets on game. I am planning a trip to Namibia and will be taking my 308 Baer. I expect the majority of shots will be between 300 and 400 yards. Right now I am thinking of using 190gn VLDs. Any experience with Bergers on game up to elk size would be of interest.

Thanks

Fergus

Igot a buddy that shoots elk with a 300rum and the 185gr. berger and I would use them on elk. At 100yrds it went through a shoulder blade and ended up in the off side but cheeck. It did lots of damage though. But it still penetrated plenty deep.

if you're only shooting out to 400 go with the Accubond, Scirocco, Interbond, TXS, or something that's made to stay together. why take a chance with a match bullet on big game that might be shot at close range?

Screech

Thanks for that info – that's exactly the information I am after. If it will survive 300 RUM velocity at 100 yards, it will certainly work for my purposes.

Dave

I am asking for the experience of others so that I will get a better understanding of the benefits and limitations of these bullets on game. Since Berger recommend their VLDs for hunting big game, this does not seem unreasonable.

Are you telling me you know for a fact Bergers will fail at close range?

Bergers are great game bullets based on the results from what I've seen with them so far. I've limited experience with them, but so far they have performed well on a couple coyotes and a few muley bucks, the farthest being 618 yards, the closer being 175 yards. I am shooting the 168g VLD out of a 7 Rm at 2950-3000fps. In both cases with both deer, I opted for a shoulder shot and in each instances, I got complete passthroughs with about a 2" exit hole. The internal damage was amazing, something I'd never really seen before. ON the 175 yard muley, it looked like old faithfull was spouting, blood sprayed everywhere on the hillside. Same performance on coyotes.

I've shot the 210g VLD out of a 300 RUM, but never did get a chance to shoot any animals with them, except for a few very very unlucky coyotes. They left 6-8" exits on them...

I have also tested both of them in wet newspaper at 100 yards, and based on that alone, I"m not to sure a Berger is the best close range bullet, but then again there is no perfect bullet. I've found the berger to be a pretty "explosive" type bullet. In each case in the newspaper, they only held at most 35% of there weight, yet they still penetrated every bit as far as conventional bullets. I"m sure the SD helps out quite a bit here. However, I'm not to sure I like a bullet to lose 70% of its weight on elk. However, I believe this year I"ll be using the 168g VLD on elk. I feel it will work very well at about 200 yards and further.

I would almost recomend you to use the 210g VLD for the added insurance it would give you in penetrattion on the close shots. Just something to think about as Berger bullets do not hold there weight. This works out great though when you want to reach out and touch something 1000 yards away, you know the bullets going to open up.

Fergus, i have seen sierra match bullets fail at close range and they have a thicker jacket than a berger. this was with a 270 cal but it was only a mule and whitetail deer.one blew up on the shoulder blade and the other didn't make it through the backbone.i just don't understand why you'd want to use a berger for African game when a bullet like an Accubond will probably shoot just as accurate and their performance is much more predictable.Bergers are great for long range, but you're talking relatively close stuff and possibly big animals. i'd use at least a bonded style of bullet or a solid.

Guys

Thanks again for the input. I did talk to Berger on this issue and they dont see a problem. They have been good to deal with and very helpful.

Having said that, I came here for some additional input, because as much as I appreciate the comments from Berger, I also value first hand experience from those with the results of using Bergers on game under their belt.

Just for the record, I will be hunting mainly springbok (pronghorn sized antelope) and gemsbok (elk sized antelope). The countryside sounds like its very flat and open. Based on discussion with someone who hunted the same area last year, it seems unlikely I will get many shots under 300 yards. However, I will also take my 9.3x62 which will be loaded with bonded core bullets. This is the rifle I will be carrying with me day-in day-out. If I do happen to get a close shot, this is the rifle I will have to hand and the rifle I will be using.

Also, the reason I am thinking of the 190gn bullet is because my barrel is a 1/12" twist and I doubt it would stabilise a heavier bullet.

Dave your points are valid,and I have experienced the same as well and don't think that Africa is the place for marginal bullet performance and the pobability of long range shots (as defined here) are not likely,I personaly would go with TXS and never look back.
I am not saying that you will experience a problem with the Bergers,but as Dave pointed out you might........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fergus Bailey
I wish I were going

You can knock a Springbok over with a spit-ball even the kalahari SB, It's the Gemsbok that can take a beating. With that said I hammered 2 Gemsbok with a 165 NBT out of a 300 win. just over 300 yards. I don't think the 165 is any tougher than the Berger. In that country (desert area) you should be able to take your time and pick your shots, stick it through the lungs and have at it. Some PH's over there will let you shoot LOOOONG. I would hold back a little on the Springbok it is easy to waste a cape with a shoulder shot.

If you dont have it, see if you can get a copy of the perfect shot Africa. The book shows ghost photos of animals and how they carry their vitals. You mentioned Springbok and Gemsbok, I take it you are hunting the Kalahari?

Something to think about, I have not been to Africa myself, but several of my friends have and they all say that when you come into the country over there, their authorities check to make sure the caliber stamped on the barrel matches the caliber stamped on the head of the cases. Does anyone else know anything about this and how it would effect someone taking a wildcat such as the 308 baer??

[ QUOTE ]
If you dont have it, see if you can get a copy of the perfect shot Africa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I take it you are hunting the Kalahari?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Its new territory for me, so I'm really looking forward to it!

[ QUOTE ]
Something to think about, I have not been to Africa myself, but several of my friends have and they all say that when you come into the country over there, their authorities check to make sure the caliber stamped on the barrel matches the caliber stamped on the head of the cases. Does anyone else know anything about this and how it would effect someone taking a wildcat such as the 308 baer??

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a lot of reference to this checking, but I do not know of anyone that has actually experienced it.

I have several trips to Africa and have not had a problem. Going in and out of Zambia they did count the number of rounds in addition to checking the rifle serial number. Generally they are more concerned with the serial number matching the permit.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts