Berger .338

I talked to Berger at the NRA show here in Phoenix a month or so ago about the .338 bullets. Got the impression that it won't be until the beginning of the year before we would see them.

TAP,
That makes sense from a business point of view.

First they can stockpile a heap of these bullets, then they can launch the new line of 338 caliber bullets next year in their advertisements as "New for 2010"

Chances are however, the way they are going, they might end up in the "New for 2020" catalogue?

TAP,
Chances are however, the way they are going, they might end up in the "New for 2020" catalogue?

LOL!:D

Thanks for the heads up. That is some good stuff on the expansion of the Hornady 250's. I like Hornady bullets, just for the price of them. The one gun shop owner that I frequent said he liked the Hornady match hollow point for his 300 Win Mag. Said it made mash potatoes out of a Turkey head at 300yrds. Needless to say, he is a good shot. Thanks for the report.

Take Care,
Tank

Have you wieghed your hornadys? I got two boxes two weeks ago and they have a four grain diff. any where from 248.2-252.6 grains. I called them and they are sending me new ones. I've been wondering if anyone else has weighed theirs. I got ten out of 100 that weighed 250 grains. They shot very well right at 3210 any slower and they arn't stabilizing out of my 1 in 12.

TAP,
That makes sense from a business point of view.

First they can stockpile a heap of these bullets, then they can launch the new line of 338 caliber bullets next year in their advertisements as "New for 2010"

I think I remember doing a search one time and saw that 338 cal Bergers were being spoken of and speculated about as far back as 2005. About every 6 months or so, somebody climbs onto the internet and claims that they are going to start production in 6 months to a year. I don't think it's right that they have this never ending teaser out there that they're going to start production of these fantastic bullets and cure all of the worlds ills. Yes 338 cal Bergers sound fantastic but you'll lose years of your life waiting on them.

Have you wieghed your hornadys? I got two boxes two weeks ago and they have a four grain diff. any where from 248.2-252.6 grains. I called them and they are sending me new ones. I've been wondering if anyone else has weighed theirs. I got ten out of 100 that weighed 250 grains. They shot very well right at 3210 any slower and they arn't stabilizing out of my 1 in 12.

Don't know about the bullet weight as I have not weighed them.
I do know that they kill game like the "Hammer of Thor" and they are very accurate.

This photo shows four recent shots. The one center right is a single shot taken one day under calm conditions. The three shot group just to its left was taken a few days latter with a slight right to left cross wind.
The three shot group measured about 2" wide by half and inch high. The gong target was at 441 yards.

mypic20.jpg

Hey Learning,
Thanks for the heads up.
I wieghed a 10 bullet sample of my new batch of Hornady bullets. Variation was from 249.0gn to 251.5gn on this small sample. This is a bit excessive!
They were lot number 2081012

By comparison I wieghed a 10 bullet sample of Sierra 300 gn SMK's and got a variation of 299.9gn to 300.3gn.

So obviously the quality control of these Hornady bullets is not to the same standard. Surprisingly the things still shoot very well.

It is not practical for me to send them back to Hornady, from Australia so I will just have to batch them if I want to shoot past 600 yards.

I'd like to see something in a 225grn. w/ a BC of .600+. I would use it in a .338 Win Mag for a poor man's Lapua or Edge. I have a ton of .338 Win Brass that is begging to be shot. Now that I know how to anneal, I should be able to save some of it.

Tank

While I know that the 250 is going to be incredible through my RUM or Edge (when finally built) I was really hoping for a 210 or 225 for my A-Square!

Oh well... that 250 at like 2400 fps is probably more deadly than most other smaller projectiles at faster speeds...

Can't wait to try 'em!

I'd love to see some 210's and 225's as well. Since it's taken this long they might as welll start with a good sized lineup.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.