Berger 338 Hybrid on game?

timeless61

Has anyone used the 338 berger on game yet? I know some expansion/penetration tests were done, but I have not been able to find anything about anyone shooting any game with them.

I just wanted to see how it went for anyone. thanks

My girlfriend shot a bull elk at 606 yards through both front shoulder blades and I was surprised by the amount of damage. When I say shoulder blade I mean the thin scapula up high in the shoulder.

I shot a antelope at 660 yards and hit it high due to not realizing how much closer it had walked from when it was ranged. The antelope was missing about eight inches of spine and had a hole the size of a football on its back.

A friend of mine goes by jumpalot on here shot a antelope with the same setup at 925 yards and hit it just in front of the back leg and the bullet came out right behind the far shoulder. It put a four inch hole in the far side.

Then on 11/28/2010 he shot a small cow elk at 319 yards and hit it through the stomach it put a two inch hole through it and the bullet stopped on the far side. All we found were fragments. He put one more right behind the front shoulder and it came out the far shoulder at 210 yards. The second shot was ugly it was a glob of blood shot under the hole entire quarter.

All of these were shot out of his edge going 2740 fps.

I really don't mind the mess that they make. But they do far more damage than anything I've ever seen. I don't know what their new bullet will be like but I have already bought some of this lot to shoot out of my edge and it isn't even built yet. For long range terminal proformance I think they are going to work really well.

The first run of the berger hybrid 300g 338 bullet seem to be very soft , that is probably why they wont handle anything faster than an edge, but in an edge at long range they kill very well and are worth a try to see if they shoot in your rifle.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts