Berger 300gn Gen II Bullet Info

SHRTSHTR

The brown truck showed up today with my 300gn. Gen II bullets. It has been a long wait but it is nice to see Berger filling back orders. I received 250 bullets and have another 500 on order.

I have been following Shawn Carlocks thread about these bullets. Would like to get some info before I waste precious barrel life doing load development.

My rig is a 338 Lapua Improved with a 30" Lilja, 1-10 twist. Currently, I am getting 2,950 fps with 100gns Retumbo, 215 primers and 300 SMK's. This is a very accurate load in my rifle. Can't wait to see what the Bergers will do!
197.jpg

Would like to use H1000 but not sure what I will be giving up. Probably some velocity but would rather have accuracy. Looking forward to suggestions on loads for my 338 LAI. Thanks for looking.

Sound like you have something working, just try the bullet switch. How long did you wait on bullets, I have been waitng also for gen 1. I am shooting retumbo and was recommended by a guy with about 4 diff. 338s. See good stuff on h1000 also. mine is in a norma, I just need my bergers, they shot good for me. It is easy to burn the powder testing,with different bullets, charges,seating. I just want mine good to go I would rather bust rocks on the mountain than test loadsgun)

Sounds like you have a good load with Retumbo.
I have a 29" barreled 338 lapua improved and my 300smk load is 101gr Retumbo. Very accurate and low es.
I chroned 3 rounds just to see how the load is holding up.
I got 2992,2996,2996.
It shoots very well at 1000yds. It's just too easy to hit the 8" gongs with this load.
I've tried H1000,US869 as well.
Retumbo was the best in my rifle by far.

I had 250 of the Gen 1 bullets. I bought them when they first came out. I sent them back to Berger 2-3 weeks ago. I received the Gen 2's today.

I shot H1000 while doing load development and velocity was about 50 fps slower than Retumbo. I had low ES and very good accuracy. Retumbo produced the best results for me as well. I gained 50 fps with extreme accuracy.

I have read here that the Bergers seem to get a little more velocity than the 300gn smk's. About 50 fps.

It is no big deal either way. I will probably load up and shoot 5 rounds at 99, 99.5, 100 grains of Retumbo and H1000. I should find a good load with this test. Plan to shoot at 500 yards over my Oehler 35P for test.

Ray, I shot my first Gen II's from my .338 LM last Saturday. Here is my initial impressions. Last summer I shot 250 Gen 1's after using 300 SMK's for a couple years. I had to drop the powder back from 92.5 with smk's to 91.5 with the gen 1's. Velocities on both loads ( 92.5 with SMK / 91.5 with Gen 1) were with in 10 fps. I have now shot 30 Gen II's with the 91.5 gr load. Accuracy was good but velocity was down. All indications from examining the brass is that with the Gen II's I will be able to go back to the 92.5 gr load and be back where I was. All this was done with the same lot of H-1000. So I feel the jacket thickness of the gen II's are similar to the smk's and this is why I can now go back up on the charge?? This is just my first observation after one range session. But I do know this. I was shooting in up to 15 mph full value winds to 1012 yards. The Gen II Bergers take 1 moa less wind correction than the SMK's at 1012 yds even with the velocity of the GenII's being down. So when I pump them back up it will be even better.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jeff

Jeff,

Your info is indeed a big help! It seems that I can probably use the same load I have now but will back off a grain anyway. We know how Retumbo can spike :).

I read Shawn Carlocks Gen II testing again. It seems there might be some velocity gains with the Gen II. I would really like to use H1000 with these new bullets. I got very good accuracy with H1000 and smk's but velocity was only 2,920 average.

My 338 LAI shoots extremely well with Retumbo. I plan on the Gen II to be my go too bullet for my rifle. I want to give H1000 and Retumbo a fair comparision. The load that gives lowest ES and accuracy will win out. If I loose a little velocity but very good accuracy, I will be happy.

One Moa might not seem like much at 1k but I can't wait to see what my rifle does. With a velocity of 2,950 fps, this rifle should be one flat shooting puppy. Using the 300 smk's was no slouch in my rifle. I am very happy with it. The increased BC of the Berger and maybe a little velocity gain? Wow, this new Berger might be something :D.

We are right in the middle of building our new facility for our machine shop. Hope to get away next week and do a little testing.

sp6x6, Can you get enough Retumbo in the case with the 300's out of your Norma?
I am not quite getting the velocity I wanted, 26''but the 300 where grouping good.88 gr,2725 vel. I was busting rocks yesterday at 1200 playing and I had 9.3 mil , 200 zero, and shots where hitting in the size of my fist.Seems to be shooting similar to the Sin. A friend was loading his w/91 grs and 300 smk.

I was thinking a ball powder like Magpro would shoot like a dream in the 338 Norma and Retumbo would fill the case up before reaching a max load. Never played with one though but I really like the cartridge. Great to hear how well yours is shooting.

In my 338 Lapua Imp I use N570.
I use the same load as 2225/Retumbo but N570 gave more speed.
I use Lapua brass as it can take more punishment.
I have a 33.5" barrel & looking at the brass I push a wee bit hard.
The primers still fit nicely.
I get 3080-3100 with 300 Scenars.
I have tried the Gen1 Bergers & the SMKs but haven't got the results I would like.
I may do more testing or wait until the Gen2s get over here :)
It is very accurate & I have shot it out to 1370 with first shot hit as well :D
It is a fairly light weight rig with an AICS stock & a Nightforce.
If I put it in a Mc Hunter edge stock & MK4 it weighs under 11lbs a nice hunting weight.

Kiwi Greg,

Seems that you have a fine shooting rifle. Our rifles are very similar. The extra 3 1/2 inches in barrel length explains your increased velocity.

I have never shot Scenar's or Bergers in my 338's. Only have experience with Smk's. According to my ballistic software, I should gain 1/2-3/4 moa at 1k with the Gen II's. Every little bit helps when your ballistically challenged as I am.

Kiwi Greg,

Seems that you have a fine shooting rifle. Our rifles are very similar. The extra 3 1/2 inches in barrel length explains your increased velocity.

I have never shot Scenar's or Bergers in my 338's. Only have experience with Smk's. According to my ballistic software, I should gain 1/2-3/4 moa at 1k with the Gen II's. Every little bit helps when your ballistically challenged as I am.

I'm looking forward to getting some Gen IIs down here.
I have just got my Edge going mint with the Gen Is using an overall length that Shawn posted in a thread on Gen IIs so very happy, thanks Shawn.
When I get some Gen IIs I will be able to use them in the Edge, Improved & Std Lapua.

I have a slightly longer case to the shoulder than normal in my Improved & use abit more powder than you, I also push the Lapua brass fairly hard as well, so including the barrel length that will add up to more speed :)

I know where you are coming from being ballistically challenged myself :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts