Berger 30 caliber 230 grain Hybrid?

jedlowe

Just wondering if anything else has been released about these such as estimated BC, release date, etc.. They should make the 30 cal a viable long range contender.

Just wondering if anything else has been released about these such as estimated BC, release date, etc.. They should make the 30 cal a viable long range contender.
for now the 225 grain match hornady with .67 bc or .343 g7 shoot great!

Berger is listing the G7 BC for their new 230 gr hybrid @ .364
The old G1 standerd has it at .711 I was also interested in the rate of twist they were going to list to stabilize it but I was unable to find it. Just a guess on my part but I'd figure the recommended rate of twist would be about a 1 and 10.

Sierra's 240 already makes the .30's a viable long range caliber. Ask the elk killed at 1550 by my brother-in-law in Idaho. Sierra's 220 is another bullet that was used for many years before everything we have now. The Berger, and JLK 210 are good option as well as the Hornady 225 and 208 BTHP. The 208 A-max has made a name for itself as well. As far as the 230, according to Eric Stecker it is for tactical use. This may mean it has a harder jacket that will not open up as good as their hunting and target bullets. I could be wrong (most likely), but would wait to get all the definitive details.

Tank

I did read where they were intended for tactical use and have a thick jacket making them not so desirable for the thin skinned game we so often pursue. However, most all companies that make hunting bullets really push different variations of high weight retaining deep penetrating bullets for thick skinned or dangerous game. If your thinking the 30 cal is a bit light for such then don't forget about the one they have designed for the 338 Lapua. Just something else ponder on.

Does anyone have approximate dimensions of this new bullet. Will it be possible to use it in commercial rifles or will it require custom built rifles with longer actions, longer magazines, and special twist rates to use it?

Last edited:
Litz confirms BC and that the 230grainer has thicker target jacket....

230 gr Berger 30 cal OTM results/compare? - Sniper's Hide Forums

A couple of buddies of mine have done some exterior ballistic comparisons of the 230hybrid and the 208Amax. In order for the 230 to have an advantage, it must be sent significantly faster than the 208.

Here's the comparison I ran based on the ballistics of the 208Amax in my 300RUM vs. the velocity I THINK I could get with the 230...

208 (G1 = .648) @ 3140
1000yards = 20.75moa, .5moa per 1mph of wind, 1581energy
1500yards = 42.00moa, .75moa per 1mph of wind, 870energy
2000yards = 75.25moa, 1.25moa per 1mph of wind, 535energy

230 (G1 = .719) @ 3000
1000yards = 22.25moa, .5moa per 1mph of wind, 1739energy
1500yards = 43.75moa, .75moa per 1mph of wind, 1008energy
2000yards = 76.0moa, 1.25moa per 1mph of wind, 631energy

As you can see, the Amax has a slight edge in trajectory, but the berger carries more energy farther downrange. If the Berger were a hunting bullet and could be pushed faster than 3000 then it would be a great longrange hunting bullet.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.