Berger .277 EOL Extreme Heavy Hybrid 170 Grain.

Every rifle is diferent when it comes to pressure signs. For me, I began to get uncomfortable at 3,200 fps. I believe Kirby was able to push them faster than I was. The difference could be his custom action vs. my Rem 700 action that Kirby trued up. Other possibilities include my three-groove barrel (notoriously hard on bullets because of increased bearing surface); or a different powder better suited for the load at hand.

Yeah bridging has me a tad worried. Heck an stw, 375 ruger, or sa mag would work well also. Its all about the bullet. Wouldnt you figure the bridging issue would be better with a thinner case? And yeah the 338 might be more logical...crap no bertram brass tho. I guess I could shorten it anyway. HMMMM.
What do you calc the AM will drive a 170 at? I ASSumed the AM was just a 270/338 LM which would equal an ultra m/l. Did kirby decrease the lapua capacity when he designed it? Thanks for reply.

The 270 Allen Mag is based on the 7mm/300 RUM case. Case width is wider, length it increased and shoulder angle steeper. I shoot anywhere from 93 to 100 grains of US 869 (a pretty poor powder, BTW) behind the 169.5 Original Wildcat. MV is on the order of 3440 FPS.

Original barrel was Lilja 3 groove 8 twist - 30 Inches. Replacement barrel, after 900 or so rounds is Lilja 3 groove 8 twist - 28 inches. This barrel is a bit faster than the original. Same velocities w/a grain or two less powder.

The 277 Allen Mag is based on the 338 Lapua parent case with the standard AM design applied. The advantage with this one is the Lapua brass as Remmy brass is marginal at best.

I'm seriously considering some of Shawn's 338 Edge match brass and not look back.

The 270 Allen Mag is based on the 7mm/300 RUM case. Case width is wider, length it increased and shoulder angle steeper. I shoot anywhere from 93 to 100 grains of US 869 (a pretty poor powder, BTW) behind the 169.5 Original Wildcat. MV is on the order of 3440 FPS.

Original barrel was Lilja 3 groove 8 twist - 30 Inches. Replacement barrel, after 900 or so rounds is Lilja 3 groove 8 twist - 28 inches. This barrel is a bit faster than the original. Same velocities w/a grain or two less powder.

The 277 Allen Mag is based on the 338 Lapua parent case with the standard AM design applied. The advantage with this one is the Lapua brass as Remmy brass is marginal at best.

I'm seriously considering some of Shawn's 338 Edge match brass and not look back.

Does that mean switch to 338 or start using the new bertram to form the 270am? The 3440 sounds better and makes me think a straight 300 or 338 should be an animal. Did you have to use the US869 due to stick powder bridging? I remember that was some sort of issue.
The 270 has always really suffered. I wouldnt jump for one with just the wildcats available. NOW hold on. What was the H2O numbers on that 270AM?

Does that mean switch to 338 or start using the new bertram to form the 270am? The 3440 sounds better and makes me think a straight 300 or 338 should be an animal. Did you have to use the US869 due to stick powder bridging? I remember that was some sort of issue.
The 270 has always really suffered. I wouldnt jump for one with just the wildcats available. NOW hold on. What was the H2O numbers on that 270AM?

Seeing as I already have a 270 AM, a 338 RUM and 375 AM a 338 Edge would be redundant. Thus my intent is to switch to the new Bertram bras and form to 270 AM.

Yes I use a ball powder to prevent bridging. A single experiment with RL-25 was nearly disastrous. Turned out to be more less of a "proof" load for the old Remmy 721. Now adverse effects other than completely ruining the head of the Case. The primer was flattened as if hit with a hammer.

If I recall correctly the Allen Mag improvement increases the RUM capacity buy about 15%. It will hold way more powder than is needed.

I can and have used a ton of 7828ssc with the 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip. Got'r ripping along starting at a bit over 3600 FPS MV and shoots lights out. But its itty bitty parachute opens up at around 1300+ yards and she begins dropping like Slim Pickins out of that B-52.

Seeing as I already have a 270 AM, a 338 RUM and 375 AM a 338 Edge would be redundant. Thus my intent is to switch to the new Bertram bras and form to 270 AM.

Yes I use a ball powder to prevent bridging. A single experiment with RL-25 was nearly disastrous. Turned out to be more less of a "proof" load for the old Remmy 721. Now adverse effects other than completely ruining the head of the Case. The primer was flattened as if hit with a hammer.

If I recall correctly the Allen Mag improvement increases the RUM capacity buy about 15%. It will hold way more powder than is needed.

I can and have used a ton of 7828ssc with the 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip. Got'r ripping along starting at a bit over 3600 FPS MV and shoots lights out. But its itty bitty parachute opens up at around 1300+ yards and she begins dropping like Slim Pickins out of that B-52.
I figured it was for the 270 I was giggin ya is all. I remember when you guys were building it and all the other toys you had so I figured you had it covered lol. Im pumped about the brass tho. Ive gotten 3150 outa my 30" 338. Only used a 2x4 not a hammer to open the bolt. Seriously I think with HALFWAY decent brass 3k with a 30" tube and 6-7 reloads might be possible. If it is Im gonna be a happy camper cancel the chey-tac build and spend it on the 270.

Roy,

I currently have a Lilja 1:8, groove, 30" barrel on my .270 AI. I would think the 30" original would generate more velocity over the 28" replacement , I know that you are having way too much fun testing them but can you please share how you concluded that your replacement barrel is a bit faster than the original.

Thanks!

Ed

Roy,

I currently have a Lilja 1:8, groove, 30" barrel on my .270 AI. I would think the 30" original would generate more velocity over the 28" replacement , I know that you are having way too much fun testing them but can you please share how you concluded that your replacement barrel is a bit faster than the original.

Thanks!

Ed

It's pretty simple. I get similar velocities with a grain or two powder and exceeded my personal pressure limit, which is pretty high, though the extra velocity was pleasing:) with the original barrel/chamber loads.

Barrels are funny things. Each is unique in it's own right. Lilja bores are typically tight, that is, less velocity and more pressure for a given load as compared to most other barrels. The 3 groove is much harder, apparently, on jackets than more grooves.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that this barrel though shorter and a smaller contour is faster than the other.

Roy

It's pretty simple. I get similar velocities with a grain or two powder and exceeded my personal pressure limit, which is pretty high, though the extra velocity was pleasing:) with the original barrel/chamber loads.

Barrels are funny things. Each is unique in it's own right. Lilja bores are typically tight, that is, less velocity and more pressure for a given load as compared to most other barrels. The 3 groove is much harder, apparently, on jackets than more grooves.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that this barrel though shorter and a smaller contour is faster than the other.

Roy

Copy that, thanks Roy!

Ed

No worries, we need to keep this thing going!

Simply put, if it wasn't for what is going on with components right now, we would have bullets. However with the demand for items Berger has established this one has to wait until they can catch their breath long enough to make them.

Hope to have some bullets soon, I assure you once I do I will be on her letting everyone know.

Thanks

I know the twist is probably too slow but has anyone shot these in a tikka t3 270 wsm? It they would fly it would be the coolest cheap huntin gun on the planet. Just think you could use a 300 win mag magazine and seat your bullets where you need them. It would be awesome for a gun to carry and shot stuff with. I might even rebarreling one just for this. Thoughts?
Thanks,
T

Sorry guys for not keeping this thread active. We just do not have much to report at this time. The bullets are tested and passed with flying colors. However due to the current climate, Berger has to keep up with its current production needs before it can take on the production of the new EOL bullets.

Hopefully when things slow down a bit we can get them produced and ready to ship!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.