Berger .277 EOL Extreme Heavy Hybrid 170 Grain.

However, I am a bit sad, as I'm most probably the only 270 AM shooter that doesn't need 'em.

But . . . that doesn't say I'm not going to get 'em.

Hey Roy, I don't want you feelin all sad all by yourself. I got a couple of buckets of those original 169.5 and 195's sittin here as well.

Don't go thinkin your the only one who probably DON"T need these, I have been a watchin as well.....:D

Hey Roy, I don't want you feelin all sad all by yourself. I got a couple of buckets of those original 169.5 and 195's sittin here as well.

Don't go thinkin your the only one who probably DON"T need these, I have been a watchin as well.....:D

Good to hear from ya!!!!

Those 195s flat suck! At least they did in my rig. Wore the barrel out and never did get them to shoot. Rebarrelled when the 169s started dusting.

New barrel is a dream.....

Good Shootin'

I have to be honest here Roy, I can still get the 195's to group well out at 500yds, and then some. However, I still probably don't have 400 rounds through that rifle yet.

The 169's are something else on those feral hogs for sure. Anything less than 500yds or a head shot pretty much is red mist type hunting with them.

I also have to confess that I have probably run more Nosler 150gr Solid Bases through mine than any of the other two combined. They simply are awesome performers on both paper and game. Just don't make them anymore. Hence the interest in these, as well as possibly the newer Nosler AB's.

I'll be dragging everything out sometime shortly after the first of tha year to see how things are still holding up with it. I'll shoot ya a note when I get something done with her.

How fast will a 270 WSM push these 170's with a 26 inch tube?

That depends on your twist, what powder/primer you're using and how hot your load is., i.e, while fire-forming to .270 AI in my 30" barrel, 1:8 twist, CCI BR2 primer, I am pushing the 175 Matrix VLDs ...

57.5gr H1000 = 2801 FPS
57.5gr H4831SC = 2919 FPS

You should easily get 3100 FPS and up ...

That depends on your twist, what powder/primer you're using and how hot your load is., i.e, while fire-forming to .270 AI in my 30" barrel, 1:8 twist, CCI BR2 primer, I am pushing the 175 Matrix VLDs ...

57.5gr H1000 = 2801 FPS
57.5gr H4831SC = 2919 FPS

You should easily get 3100 FPS and up ...

That would be awesome!

They are coming soon! With everyone's busy year end schedule we have not been able to get them ready for sale just yet. But I assure you that we are close. Hopefully not to long after the new year.

Thanks so much for everyone's patience.

Went to the wal mart to order a 270 ultramag for this and they didnt have any! So I called Hart instead lol. This should be the perfect combo for the UM case. 7mm is a little too big to really max out with heavies and that case. This should be evil. Only problem is how to neck down the 338 edge brass. Wow what a combo. Should be close to the AM. Close enough anyway I dont wanna run much more powder thru a 277 hole.

Went to the wal mart to order a 270 ultramag for this and they didnt have any! So I called Hart instead lol. This should be the perfect combo for the UM case. 7mm is a little too big to really max out with heavies and that case. This should be evil. Only problem is how to neck down the 338 edge brass. Wow what a combo. Should be close to the AM. Close enough anyway I dont wanna run much more powder thru a 277 hole.

Not to hijack the thread :rolleyes:but from my experience from shooting the 270 AM extensively I'd suggest something more like a 338 RUM parent case. There is way more room in the longer rum cases to be useful.

Maybe a 7 Dakota necked down would be decent.

W/o the steep shoulder of the AM I'm not sure if you'll be limited to ball powders?

Now back to the thread in progress.:)

Not to hijack the thread :rolleyes:but from my experience from shooting the 270 AM extensively I'd suggest something more like a 338 RUM parent case. There is way more room in the longer rum cases to be useful.

Maybe a 7 Dakota necked down would be decent.

W/o the steep shoulder of the AM I'm not sure if you'll be limited to ball powders?

Now back to the thread in progress.:)

Yeah bridging has me a tad worried. Heck an stw, 375 ruger, or sa mag would work well also. Its all about the bullet. Wouldnt you figure the bridging issue would be better with a thinner case? And yeah the 338 might be more logical...crap no bertram brass tho. I guess I could shorten it anyway. HMMMM.
What do you calc the AM will drive a 170 at? I ASSumed the AM was just a 270/338 LM which would equal an ultra m/l. Did kirby decrease the lapua capacity when he designed it? Thanks for reply.

I run a 277 AM (improved 338 Lapua case). The answer you are looking for is 3,150 fps at 4300 above sea level. Powder: WC 872. Barrel: Lilja three groove, 28" barrel. I could push them a little faster, but pressure signs began to appear, so I backed off. Great bullet. Will become my "go to" bullet when they become available.

I run a 277 AM (improved 338 Lapua case). The answer you are looking for is 3,150 fps at 4300 above sea level. Powder: WC 872. Barrel: Lilja three groove, 28" barrel. I could push them a little faster, but pressure signs began to appear, so I backed off. Great bullet. Will become my "go to" bullet when they become available.

So the full ultra will be less capacity and pressure. I was thinking over 3150. 3300 with a big tube was what I figured. Is 3150 a TOP load or is she dialed back? Since the 300 will hit 3300 with a 180 I was thinking of sneaking up on 3300 with the 277 if I use a 30+ tube. Awfully small hole to burn that tho. 10 grains left should help a little. What do you guys think?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.