Berger 230 Gr 30 Cal Elite Hunter Bullets

Edd

Anyone have any info about these bullets? In the past several months I have seen a few comments about Berger going to release these. Midway has the 230 Gr Hybrid Target bullets on the clearance item list. Does this mean the Hunter Elites are about to be released?

Most of the talk on the web site has been about the target bullet or the hybrid OTM bullets. I did not know they were supposed to be releasing a new bullet or a new elite hunter bullet. I've worked up a load with the the OTM's in my 300 RUM. Another guy has on here has done the same and also someone done with the target bullet as well. But this is all I have seen so fare...also I haven't seen anything on there web page either. But if they are going to make a Elite hunter that would be aswome cause I think the 230 OTM have a slightly thicker jacket.

I don't think they will roll out a new bullet for a while and from what I've seen there would be no need to switch from the Target or OTM to a Hunter anyway, I don't know any guys currently running them or myself who would change.

The 'Elite Hunter' line is a collaboration between Berger and Bob Beck of Extreme Outer Limits. It combines the best of the OTM design with the thinner jacket and performance of the VLD. In the same weight bullet, the BC of the Elite and the OTM are the same. The OTM should not perform as well as the Elite Hunter on game, but the bigger magnums ( 338 and 30 cal) can push the OTM hard enough to compensate for any shortcomings. That does not appear to be the case in the smaller (7mm and under) magnums. I use the Elite in my 338 because I believe it performs better than the OTM at longer distances (read lower velocities).

Berger did not feel there was enough demand for that kind of bullet but Bob Beck did, so he sprung for the cost of making the bullet dies (which can be very expensive). Prior to the latest bullet shortage, you could find the Elite in both 338 and 7mm. The 30 cal was set to be out next along with the 277 version when the hording started. Since then, Berger has been totally focused on trying to keep their basic lines on the shelves, so the Elite has been placed on the back burner. Berger did do another run of 338 about 6 mos. back.

The 277 Elite was a 170. gr. projectile that I was privileged to test a couple years ago. It performed flawlessly. If/when the newer Elite models come out, you can bet they will probably appear in Bob Beck's online store first.

Interesting...well, maybe there will eventually be some elite hunters coming out, but I won't complain about being able to scoop some up at that price! Thanks for the heads-up!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts