Berger 22cal. 90gr. VLD

I shoot them in the 22-243 at about 3150 fps. Shot really well and used them to kill a few whitetail deer. They could probably go a little faster but havnt tried, accuracy was too good at 3150. Just got my barrel for 22-284 in 8 twist so curious to see what they will do in that. The big if on the 90 gr is they need a 7 twist barrel. Now on a 22-243 if you go with a 7 twist and that gun dosent like the 90 berger and go to say a 75 or 80 amax they wont make it 200 yards before poping. If I were to do it again I would do an 8 twist for sure and shoot 80 gr. amaxs at 3300-3400

I shoot them in the 22-243 at about 3150 fps.

Z,

I assume you have a 1:7 twist? Have you tried the 80 grain Bergers? I wonder if they would handle the rpm's better than the amax's???

I wish Berger's twist rate calculator could ID the point a bullet would come apart. Nonetheless, the calculator just shows that an 80 gr VLD at 3400 is more than stable with a 7 twist.....

Also, how did those 90's do on the whitetails you shot?

Sorry for all the questions............

i have been shooting 90 gr vld for years in the 22-243. i shoot them at 3322 fps with retumbo. i have an 1-8 twist hart bbl. you do not need a 1-7 twist with the velocity of the 22-243. everyone told me it would not shoot them with a 1-8 twist. i have shot them to 1400 yrds without any problem, that is the farthest i can dial with the scope i have on this gun.. i have shot it in a few matches did very well with wind but is my coyote gun now dont want to shoot out bbl that fast. in the beginning i was shooting 3450 with r22 but found better accuracy with 3322 and retumbo. berger told me they would recommend 1-7 in at 223 velocities but i should be fine at 22-243 velocity. i believe if people are having bullets come apart with these overbore 22's its because they shoot these extreme fast twists with high velocities. just my 2 cents.

Use the TWIST RATE CALCULATOR on our website under the BALLISTICS tab to help making a more informed decision on what twist you need for your application. What many folks do not do is enter the correct or as close to correct altitude. This makes a very big difference ! Bigger than velocity! Keep in mind that if you have an SG ( stability factor ) in mind that with the velocities you all are listing you may not need that tight of a twist rate . Play with the calculator and enter in twist rates that are slower than what your bullet calls for and check the SG you get. Keep in mind that if you will be shooting at different altitudes you want to use the LOWEST ALTITUDE ! ( EXAMPLE) If your stability factor is in the 1.4-1.49 range and you show a 2% compromise on the BC of the bullet BUT you don't have bullet failure issues due to the barrel twist rate you have you are still ok . You just have to read the conditions a little closer. When you get in the 3400 fps plus range you need to pay attention to twist rate and barrel length to limit the amount of friction and heat on the (READ ANY) bullet. We figure our OPTIMUM twist rates on a temperature of 59 degrees and 0 feet altitude as a WORST case scenario of the twist rate needed for 1.5-1.6 SG so the bullet will be stable in any environment at the velocities in our load manual.
Hope this helps guys!
Happy New Year to you all !

So i plugged some numbers in and at 150ft elevation and an 8 twist barrel with a velocity of 3300fps I get a stability factor of 1.09 and a bc compromised by 12 percent. will it still shoot?

this is the best group i have shot @ 750 yrds with 90gr vld, 1-8 twist, 3322fps, retumbo, lapua brass, fm210 primer. i didnt have calipers with me so improvised with my bad habit. my uncle shot one about the same size with same gun same day, but i believe his is a 1-7 twist and shooting 3100 fps. i think his barrel is pacnor 22" mine is hart 1-8 26". crude but i have checked my twist with rod.

I would say just try it, i am very glad i did when everyone told me it wouldnt shoot. I ran my numbers that i use in ballistic program it says sf 0.60. i used 3322fps 8 twist .224 bullet length 1.263 90gr. sea level. if that number is correct i shouldnt be able to hit a barn from the inside let alone a group like that @ 750. who knows i just love shooting it.

Attachments

• IMG_1062.jpg
    IMG_1062.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 102
morning, the 6.5 Remington mag, necked to 6mm or .243-.244 is a barn burner

85gr berger vld, 60grs. ramshot r 4831ssc does the trick. people do not like the

mag. ring. happy anymore years.gun)

So I was trying to find these bullets and I came across an article that said they are discontinued. So does anyone have experience with the 90 grain matchkings? Or should a guy just go 6x284 and the 115's

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.