Berger 185 VLD short range performance

Ballistic64

Well,got my 300 SAUM Sendero back from APS in time for deer season this fall,but wouldnt you know it,my wife drew the only buck tag this year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif So earlier this month I took the gun to the range and worked up a load for the .30 Berger VLD based on sewwhats recommendation.Ended up with 61gr H4350 @ ave. of 2946 fps. with the VLD just kissing the lands.I was surprised that after my fifth shot I was running an extreme spread of 6 fps and an sd of 2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gifOf course that opened up,and after 44 shots the es was 30 with an sd of 13,still pretty good and I believe it says more for the match barrel than it does my reloads.Funny thing is I havent found a bullet in the 168-210 gr range that the gun doesnt like.
Anyway,at the range I finished up putting my 100 yd zero 3" high.Of course this was 2 weeks prior to taking the wife hunting and my memory isnt what it used to be.....did I forget to mention that I plumb forgot to tell my wife where the rifle was zeroed?
The wife and I were on our way to an opening that would allow about a 300 yd shot max.,I figured this would be a perfect setup for her.Well, we never quite made it to that field.On the way, a doe trotted out in front of us just over 100 yds away with a little 4x5 glued to her rump and completely oblivious to his surrounding world.Before I could say a word I heard the safety click off and just had time to plug my ears. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The buck dropped just like all four of his legs had just been shattered.Upon inspection I couldnt find the entrance hole,but the exit was pretty obvious.After gutting the deer,it was obvious why the deer dropped the way it had.Ummm,that 3" zero I forgot to mention,well that in combination with my wife shooting offhand resulted in a perfect spine shot.Funny how things just seem to work out for women /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-005S.JPG
MVC-006S.JPG

You must be living right, because if your wife had missed high you would have been in big trouble.

I am inclined to believe that a good chamber and a good barrel makes load development a piece of cake.

Thanks guys.I wasnt sure how the Berger would perform at that close of range.
Im still in trouble BB,after taking that buck,I think my wife is claiming emminant domain on the Sendero. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Oh well,ive got two guns to have built this coming year based on Bordens new actions so I guess the Sendero is a worthwhile sacrifice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Glad the rifle worked out for you. 30 cal rounds of this capacity just seem to have a special combination of powder capaicty to bore volume ratio and they can get some very consistant loads.

There are benefits to getting good barrels, most often that is the ability to shoot most bullets very well!!

Congrats and thanks for the report, tell your wife contrats on a fine buck and shot as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

i agree with B-Bob. a gun that shoots everything is simply a testament to good components, but more so to another great assembly from "Mr. Smith"

Thanks Kirby,the gun is everything I hoped for and shoots phenominally well.As good as it shoots the 185 VLDs,it has no problem (as long as I do my part) keeping five shots with the 210 SMKs under an inch at 300yds.Im going to try the 210 VLDs as soon as I get some,it just seems to love the Bergers.Thanks again and I cant wait to get started on the next projects with you.

[ QUOTE ]
i agree with B-Bob. a gun that shoots everything is simply a testament to good components, but more so to another great assembly from "Mr. Smith"

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 100%! I have no doubts about the smiths talents and attention to detail and quality.Midway through the project I was contacted by him and was informed of an issue with the reamer/chambering.He told me what was going on and told me what needed to be done to resolve the issue,and went what I believe to be the extra mile to assure quality in the highest degree.Ft Shaw will be the birthplace of my next two rifles also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Congrats on you and your lady's success! I had to postpone all my work with the 185 gr Bergers because I ran out playing on paper. That's ok because I have 1200 of the 175 SMKs ready to go with my Sendero sighted in at 300 yards also. I hope to duplicate your results myself!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.