Berger 175VLD vs MatchKing on game comparison question

RuffHewn

How does the Berger 175gr VLD compare to 175-190gr Sierra MatchKings on game? I have no doubt either would do well on whitetails, but what about large feral hogs? Caliber is .300WSM. Rng could be aprox 130 yds to slightly over 400 yds where I will setup for whitetails this season, and on feral hogs less than 100 yds to as far as my confidence in prevailing conditions will allow.

My cousin just game me some Berger moly 175VLDs that his .308 Ruger Tgt 77 would not shoot and 8 boxes of 180 Ballistic Tips, a couple boxes already molyed, that he decided was too soft on hogs, though I have never had an animal indicate the lowly Ballistic Tip was inadequate.

I have had great results with SMK 190s but now that my new barrel is on I am considering trying SMK 175s to tighten my horizontal spread in wind, and will definately shoot the BTs at something.

The key word is "game"...

Generally the VLD bullets are too long to properly function through a magazine, and Berger states that the VLD must be loaded to touch the lands...

DC and Steve, thanks very much.

I have had just enough success with the SMK190s to have confidence in them. I also would not hesitate to use the Ballistic Tip 180gr due to nothing but positive experience with them since they were strengthened a bit.

I have not test loaded any Bergers yet but my magazine length is 3.04" in the CRF Win short action. It all comes down to how my new barrel is chambered. If my rifle will shoot them, will they work on whitetails and feral hogs or is the jacket too soft and thin?

Hopefully I will be shooting again in the next couple of weeks, as soon as my back recovers. I agravated an old injury, a compression fracture of L4 and L5, while tilling for a green field.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.