Berger 175gr. OTM tactical bullet

.308 reloader

New to LRH
New to reloading
Have a question do any of you out there have any data to share on the loading of the Berger 175gr. OTM tactical bullet for .308win
I shoot a savage model 10t .308win. My first time out with this bullet I loaded it using LC brass CCI primers 42.2gr. IMR 4064 and col of 2.80in. It chrony'd at 2610 fps. Avg. Not bragging but it group under 1/2MOA @100yds I know that there are many of you out there that shoot .308 consistently better. Please share your knowledge. This is becoming somewhat of an obsession

New to LRH
New to reloading
Have a question do any of you out there have any data to share on the loading of the Berger 175gr. OTM tactical bullet for .308win
I shoot a savage model 10t .308win. My first time out with this bullet I loaded it using LC brass CCI primers 42.2gr. IMR 4064 and col of 2.80in. It chrony'd at 2610 fps. Avg. Not bragging but it group under 1/2MOA @100yds I know that there are many of you out there that shoot .308 consistently better. Please share your knowledge. This is becoming somewhat of an obsession

I have not tried the 175 Bergers yet with the LC, CCI, and 4064 combo. I do use this same combo with the 175 SMK using 41.8gr. I would think you are right in there with the combo you listed.

New to LRH
New to reloading

Sounds like you have a very good load .50" inch. I've shot the Berger 175gr ahead of (43.5grs) of RL-15 with 210M primer and a Lapua case.. runs out at 2650 fps with very low SD's in my 28" inch Tac rifle. I've also the 175gr SMK with great results at 1K... but think I'd give the nod to Berger these days.

Good luck
Cheer's

Thanks 436.. I read a paper published by mr. Ohler(I hope I spelled that right) and his point was es"s are not really important that if you want to be really accurate at long range that SD's 10 and under is where you want to be and he suggested that once that you got a load that was accurate and could go the distance that neck tension control was the way to get under a SD of 10..... do you all agree with that approach or is there another way or other parameters that can be adjusted....I do realize that practice,practice and more practice is the way to master your craft!!! I just want to pick the brains of the expierened reloaders\marksman out there. my 3 buddies and myself are on a 1MOA 1,000 yard quest

Thanks 436.. I read a paper published by mr. Ohler(I hope I spelled that right) and his point was es"s are not really important that if you want to be really accurate at long range that SD's 10 and under is where you want to be and he suggested that once that you got a load that was accurate and could go the distance that neck tension control was the way to get under a SD of 10..... do you all agree with that approach or is there another way or other parameters that can be adjusted....I do realize that practice,practice and more practice is the way to master your craft!!! I just want to pick the brains of the expierened reloaders\marksman out there. my 3 buddies and myself are on a 1MOA 1,000 yard quest

Well you've got the right idea.. As for SD's don't really know how to answer that one. I've had many fine LR rifles that were pin point accurate at 1K with quite high SD's'.., I know, but that's the way it was. The 1K X ring is 10" inches, the 10 ring is 20" inches you win in the X ring count! So yes; 1 moa and under is where you want too be. The guys that really come down hard on the SD's are the bench boys, they have the best input on that subject.
Just my .02
Cheer's.

my 3 buddies and myself are on a 1MOA 1,000 yard quest

Great goal with the 308. The best I've accomplished shooting TR to date is dropping three points on more than one occasion at 1000 in the Palma format. I don't recall having calm conditions during any of legs so I'm content with dropping three points. Shooting a perfect score is a great goal and few have accomplished this shooting TR. The F-Class X ring is 5" and the 10 ring is 10" meeting your 1 MOA goal. Do I pay attention to ES? You bet. With only 5" to play elevation wise from center a 20 fps spread can play havoc to your score with any amount of misread wind. Try to perfect every aspect of your reloading to include reducing your ES. This will inevitably reduce your SD. It only takes one round out of 15 or 20 to blow a perfect score. It's hard enough trying to stay even with the wind let alone having to worry about elevation changes due to velocity spreads. Shooting any cartridge combination at 1000 is fun. Shooting the 308 at 1000 makes you realize just how little a chance in conditions and not catching the change affects your score.

Even if your goal is not obtained right away, have fun along the way!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.