berger 168 vld hunting bullets.

Well here it is

It says vld hunting 7mm 168 grain part 28501 100ct lot 5453 g7 .316 recommended for hunting and also excellent for target..

The thing that gets me is shouldn't excellent be in hunting not target ??

It is not just the bullet it is the 7mm Mag. Worst caliber I ever shot deer with. Did not matter which bullet I tried. Even with placing a bullet in the shoulder 90% of the time deer would run off. I could not carry enough flashlight batteries to hunt with that 7 mag I would tell people because I would have to hunt for the deer so long after dark in the evening hunting I did. After shooting around 25 deer with it I decided to go back to my 25-06. 99% of the time where the deer was standing when shot is where it is laying. Most reliable bullet I ever used in the 7 mag for in the tracks kills or for those that did not go over 50 yards was the Hornady 154 gr Interlock SP.
I have only shot one deer with a VLD bullet and it was the 30 cal. 155 gr out of my 30X47 cal rifle at muzzle velocity of 2650 fps. Deer was a big doe at 111 yards broadside. Bullet was placed in the center of the right front shoulder. Deer just flinched and ran into the cut over. At the spot it was shot at on the off side it looked like you had filled a quart jar with blood and lung tissue that had been run in a blinder and slung it down the logging path. The cut over was VERY thick it ran into. There was a deer trail when the deer ran. I got on my hands and knees and crawled back down this trail. There was not a single drop of blood from where that deer was shot down the path for 50 yards where I found the deer laying. There was an exit hole the size of a baseball that just caught the back part of the offside shoulder. The deer literately sloshed on the inside. The heart and lungs were pulp. I like the 125 gr Nolser ballistic tip in this rifle better. Probably have shot 25 or so deer with it and all have been BANG FLOP. This just goes to show you that everybody has different experiences and when it comes to killing game even though they are dead on bullet impact they can still go a long ways.

It is not just the bullet it is the 7mm Mag. Worst caliber I ever shot deer with. Did not matter which bullet I tried. Even with placing a bullet in the shoulder 90% of the time deer would run off. I could not carry enough flashlight batteries to hunt with that 7 mag I would tell people because I would have to hunt for the deer so long after dark in the evening hunting I did. After shooting around 25 deer with it I decided to go back to my 25-06. 99% of the time where the deer was standing when shot is where it is laying. Most reliable bullet I ever used in the 7 mag for in the tracks kills or for those that did not go over 50 yards was the Hornady 154 gr Interlock SP.
I have only shot one deer with a VLD bullet and it was the 30 cal. 155 gr out of my 30X47 cal rifle at muzzle velocity of 2650 fps. Deer was a big doe at 111 yards broadside. Bullet was placed in the center of the right front shoulder. Deer just flinched and ran into the cut over. At the spot it was shot at on the off side it looked like you had filled a quart jar with blood and lung tissue that had been run in a blinder and slung it down the logging path. The cut over was VERY thick it ran into. There was a deer trail when the deer ran. I got on my hands and knees and crawled back down this trail. There was not a single drop of blood from where that deer was shot down the path for 50 yards where I found the deer laying. There was an exit hole the size of a baseball that just caught the back part of the offside shoulder. The deer literately sloshed on the inside. The heart and lungs were pulp. I like the 125 gr Nolser ballistic tip in this rifle better. Probably have shot 25 or so deer with it and all have been BANG FLOP. This just goes to show you that everybody has different experiences and when it comes to killing game even though they are dead on bullet impact they can still go a long ways.

I would have to say its the make and model of bullet not cartridge, look at 30 30 it has killed more animals than all of us ever will.. I will be sticking to sst 154 and accubonds or ballistic tip for lung hit

Truc;

I looked at the tip and there all filled with lead,
What a **** bullet for hunting

IMO: You are one of the biggest internet whiners I've ever read. How old are you?

Ultimately, it is your responsibility to as you made the ammo.

You succeeded. You didn't waste meat. What are you complaining about?

This is just a comment so take it for what it's worth.

I have hunted over 50 years and used every bullet known to man. I have had bullets fail and sometimes for no apparent reason.

I am always amazed when a bullet fails to perform after shooting game for decades without a single failure. "edited word here Happens".

Some of the bullets that have failed Have been given a second chance and have not let me down
again. Others have been unpredictable and if it happens 10% of the time I simply stop using them.

A good example was the Nosler Partition, I have had perfect results on game where velocities were high and lesser bullets would have came apart at impact. many animals later, with confidence, I was using a 30/378 for elk and when I got my shot, the bull looked at me like nothing happened. Stunned I reloaded the rifle and fired the second shot.He did it again. surprised would be an under statement.

I though to myself, I just plain missed. I set the rifle down because I did not want to make a poor shot, thinking something was surely wrong. The bull just kept looking at me, then his head rolled over his back and down he went.

I was dumbfounded, But excited and relieved that I hadn't messed up. after examining the shot placement, I found two holes less than 1/2'' apart going in and coming out. I had missed any of the
ribs going and coming (What are the odds) both bullets traveled straight through without expanding
at all. Velocity at POI was over 3300 ft/sec.

The point is, bullets fail sometimes and you have to make a choice whether you want to give them another chance or not.

I will say this though: If you don't have confidence in you equipment don't use it. It just leads to more problems.

There are a few bullets that I wont use any more because they failed more than once so I gave up on them. The tried a true partition is not one of them just because of one failure that may not have been it's fault.

I think it was just bad luck and would not give up on a good bullet, Try it again and if it fails to perform like you want it to, find another bullet.

It is Ok to be disappointed in the performance of your equipment. Just learn from it .

Good luck on your next hunt !!

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I recovered buck, I stood were I shot and followed the tracks in snow for roughly 90 yds. I thought I missed seriously, I didn't see blood I knew there was no way I missed, because I sighted rifle 30 minutes early.... it was 1 degree and snowing bad , 425pm. I looked under a pin tree and and there he was. At first I saw tiny entry and no exit. In barn I look and found small 1/4 hole exit no blood dripping from it. These bullets are grouping 1/4 @ 200yds. I aimed double lung and thats were the bullet hit.. truely very very disappointed with vld hunting berger 168gr

What condition was the lungs in when you gutted it.

What condition was the lungs in when you gutted it.
That's what I was wondering. 90yrds on a double lung hit isn't unreasonable, I've seen deer go a lot farther than that while pouring out enough blood to have you thinking "how in the h*&1 is this thing still going?" One Doe I shot years ago ran 50yrds with a lung hanging out of the exit wound, and she to 3 good hits to the chest at close range.

Just because you don't get a bang flop the first time you try something doesn't mean it's bad. If you repeatedly have critter after critter run off from a particular bullet and good solid hits then yea I'd try something else. On the same note if you find a combo that consistently puts em down fast I wouldn't screw with that either. I've ran into both ^.

This is just a comment so take it for what it's worth.

I have hunted over 50 years and used every bullet known to man. I have had bullets fail and sometimes for no apparent reason.

I am always amazed when a bullet fails to perform after shooting game for decades without a single failure. "**** Happens".

Some of the bullets that have failed Have been given a second chance and have not let me down
again. Others have been unpredictable and if it happens 10% of the time I simply stop using them.

A good example was the Nosler Partition, I have had perfect results on game where velocities were high and lesser bullets would have came apart at impact. many animals later, with confidence, I was using a 30/378 for elk and when I got my shot, the bull looked at me like nothing happened. Stunned I reloaded the rifle and fired the second shot.He did it again. surprised would be an under statement.

I though to myself, I just plain missed. I set the rifle down because I did not want to make a poor shot, thinking something was surely wrong. The bull just kept looking at me, then his head rolled over his back and down he went.

I was dumbfounded, But excited and relieved that I hadn't messed up. after examining the shot placement, I found two holes less than 1/2'' apart going in and coming out. I had missed any of the
ribs going and coming (What are the odds) both bullets traveled straight through without expanding
at all. Velocity at POI was over 3300 ft/sec.

The point is, bullets fail sometimes and you have to make a choice whether you want to give them another chance or not.

I will say this though: If you don't have confidence in you equipment don't use it. It just leads to more problems.

There are a few bullets that I wont use any more because they failed more than once so I gave up on them. The tried a true partition is not one of them just because of one failure that may not have been it's fault.

I think it was just bad luck and would not give up on a good bullet, Try it again and if it fails to perform like you want it to, find another bullet.

It is Ok to be disappointed in the performance of your equipment. Just learn from it .

Good luck on your next hunt !!

J E CUSTOM

Thank a for your honest input, I appreciate it. This was the first time hunting with vlds. I shoot competition F Class and there awesome. I head out to Zimbabwe 4 times out of the year mainly 375 H&H, I have shot alot of game. For smaller game I adore 270 win factory 150 round nose classic. I ll take your advice and move onto another bullet. Good thing I only bought them for 7mm. I am glad also this didnt happy on my next ram hunt in Alaska. .

Thanks everyone for your positive replied, expect seamen. Who things I give a edited word here gun)

Last edited by a moderator:
26482d1381623620t-rl-33-first-blood-doe-exit.jpg

This antelope was shot with a Berger and still managed to run close to 100 yards before tipping over. The hunter who gutted the animal stated there wasn't much left with the insides.....and the animal still ran off.

The point being, animals sometimes take more time to expire than what we would want or expect. Previous posts have already made this argument and I agree 100%. If you're not comfortable with your selection, don't use it. But please be aware animals may not hit the dirt like we would want them to, then blame the bullet for not seeing the results as you might expect.

I would never have expected this antelope to make it as far as it did....but it did..... and by no fault of the bullet.

26482d1381623620t-rl-33-first-blood-doe-exit.jpg

This antelope was shot with a Berger and still managed to run close to 100 yards before tipping over. The hunter who gutted the animal stated there wasn't much left with the insides.....and the animal still ran off.

The point being, animals sometimes take more time to expire than what we would want or expect. Previous posts have already made this argument and I agree 100%. If you're not comfortable with your selection, don't use it. But please be aware animals may not hit the dirt like we would want them to, then blame the bullet for not seeing the results as you might expect.

I would never have expected this antelope to make it as far as it did....but it did..... and by no fault of the bullet.

I admire that hole, but mine buck had in -out pencil hole.. what cal were you using and what yards

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.