Benchrest Primers vs Standard

7stwnut

Where would you use large rifle benchrest primers in lieu of standard or magnum? Are they they hotter than standard primers?

The following information was taken from "Rocky's Reloading Room" and may be helpful:

This table was developed using completely unscientific methods and reflect only my own best guess about the comparative "heat" of the primers shown. I prepared known consistent loads in .308 Win and .223 Rem cartridges, and changed only the primers in each test batch. Ten shots of each load were fired over a chronograph, and the results below are ranked purely by their respective velocities. It is assumed that "hotter" or higher brisance loads produce higher velocity. That assumption may or may not be valid and the results may change in any other gun, with a different load combination, different lots of components or under other circumstances. No pistol primers have been tested, and not every possible rifle primer style was available.

Note: "Hottest" primer at top, "Coolest" at bottom.

Large Rifle
FED 215
WLRM
CCI 250
REM 9 1/2 M
WLR
FED 210
CCI BR2
CCI 200
REM 9 1/2

Of these primers listed I've used the CCI BR2 the most. I always get consistent, accurate loads with these. I've also used alot of the Remington magnum primers in standard non-magnum cartridges and found them to be good also. I worked up several "sweet" loads for the .22-250, .243 and .25-06 with these. I recently tried the CCI 250 w/H1000 in my .300WinMag and that combo worked out great, but I have used CCI BR2's in this cartridge also. Who knows?
Always work up into your loads and whenever changing components, drop your charge by at least 7% and start over. JohnnyK.

Thanks for the info. I will give them a try in my 6.6 X 55 and see how they do, maybe I will pick up a few fps with them.

For my personal rifles, I only use Federal match unless I can pick up regular 210 and 215s simply because they are in stock.

I have WLR and WLRM on hand and use those in my brother's and friend's rifles since that's what was used to work up their loads. When I'm out of those, I'll use Fed in theirs also.

"Are they they hotter than standard primers? ....will give them a try in my 6.6 X 55 ..."

"Hotter"? Not just no, but he77 no, as the table above clearly shows.

"BR" primers are standard primers made and inspected to insure uniformity, generally in smallish cases. Your "6.6 x 55" widcat would never see any difference. :D

"Hot" primers are not condusive to better accuracy nor automatic velocity increases; if that were so that's all any of us would use. If you want to "pick up a few fps" cram more powder into the cases.

Interesting that the CCI BR2 was running hotter than the CCI 200. My experience with the small rifle primers is just the opposite. I think the BR4 is milder than the CCI 400 primers.

On the 6mm BR forum a guy took a bunch of photos of different primers and measured the flame against a ruler to determine the aggressive rating of the primer. If you can find that it's pretty interesting.

I use them in all the cartridges I load for and have loaded for in the past: this includes; 22-250, 243, 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 25-06, 260, 6.5-284, 270Win, 270WSM, 7X57, 7mmRemMag, .308, 30-06, .300WSM and .300WinMag. Give 'em a try. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.