Benchrest hunting

Jimm

[image][/image] guess thats what you would call this. I've set posts all over my hunting lease and have made a tabletop to put on them that has swivel and elevation capability.Heres some crummy photos that might make it as clear as mud. [image][/image] [image][/image] The second pix is of a post used for load development it looks at a 300yd shot [image][/image] The fourth pic is of a post site that offers an 800yd. shot. These posts are also where they are because the deer frequent the places they overlook.The table top and the swivel mechanism are two different pieces to make it easier to set up. In most places it's just a few yds. to the post from the truck.When its set up it is rock solid.Oh yeah the posts have hard points set into them so the bolts wont keep going further into the wood.

I hope you remembered to put the salt blocks near the aiming stakes! Will that bench fit and can you shoot from it out of the back of your truck?

3sixbits, We use corn here,the salt/mineral blocks see most use during the summer.Also I'm not sure what you mean by aiming stakes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifThe posts are 4"x4" about 28" out of the ground and I set the bench top on a post ,tighten bolts ,plop down a rear bag ,insert the homemade 3//4" allthread and elevation wheel with front bag and rest (sinclair bag/rest) make adjustments and wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifThe size of the bench top can be seen from the photo and yes, I could make a post bolted inthe bed of the truck to put the benchtop on. Probably would make a insert for the trailer hitch receiver instead though.

Aiming stakes are for known distances, so you know what your hold will be for that unwarry buck that comes in to steal your corn!

3sixbits, I thought that 's what they might be ,just was'nt sure. What I've been doing is laser ranging the trail or corn pile that I'm set up over. Then guess what happens ? one walks up 35 yds away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif [image][/image] see what I mean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Will that bench fit and can you shoot from it out of the back of your truck?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you forgot the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Any wind and the truck moves around. I was thinking of putting a bench in the back of my truck and using my NASCAR Jack put lifts under the axle. I can lift one axle at a time.

But I decided it was probably better to pull a bench out and toss it on solid mother earth. Now if I had a turret and a compensator (for motion) like the Abrams tanks have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yup ,the wind is a deal when shooting out of the truck even an 8000 lb. truck.I'm not sure jacking it up would help all that much because of suspension movement.And yes, 3six he was dipped in egg ,rolled in flour ,salt and pepper and deepfried in peanut oil yum! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.