Bench Rest Brand help

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by accubonded, Mar 19, 2012.

1. accubonded

accubonded Member

I have been using a MTM rest for several years but when I upgrade my stock to a Choate ultimate varmint stock I have found that it doesn't fit very well unless I put a 2x4 under the front end. Not very stable. What brands and models of bench rests are you guys using that might fit my new stock with its large drop in the buttstock? Thanks!lightbulb

2. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

The Caldwell BR is okay for a cheap rest. Hart? Sinclair? I assume you aren't looking to buy a SEB/Farley/etc..

3. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

buy a good used one, and then spen your money on the top rest. The older Sinclair windage plate is very good, and you can't beat the Hart of Bald Eagle for the bottom part. One thing to take into mind is the overall higth you'll be shooting from. I build my own, and have steadilly made them lower and lower over the years. Look for one that has no shake or movement in it after it's locked down, and buy a high quality windage plate (there are many good ones). You'll also need a rear bag setup as well as a bag for the top of the rest. I bought mine off of Fred Sinclair (probably own six or eight now)
    gary