belted magnum question

seems I responded to not the original poster... apologies.....

Measure first......
Measure and compare your factory ammo to likewise measurements from the problem brass... by measuring from: 1) case head to shoulder, 2) just above the belt, and, 3) the total length of brass case (case head to case neck), the measurements achieved should shed light on what's causing a difficult bolt close...

Similarly, when you finally have achieved chambering success, measure before firing and again after firing.... measure before sizing brass and measure after sizing brass....

measure, measure, measure...

Last edited:
Something is obviously wrong with the brass you bought. You haven't mentioned what caliber this is. I know this is a dumbA-- question. but here goes anyway... You did buy the correct caliber brass? If new factory loads are going in fine brand new brass should also. Run a few through a full resizing die and check brass length.
Oh, it is 338 Win mag. And yes, it is the right brass.

Thank you all for your comments. I think the best advice is that "not all brass is created equal". Hence the reason the Federal nickel cartridges fit and the Remington brass does not. I think will buy some new Fed brass and see if there are issues. If there are, the rifle will go to the smithy for some 'adjustments".

Thank you all for your comments. I think the best advice is that "not all brass is created equal". Hence the reason the Federal nickel cartridges fit and the Remington brass does not. I think will buy some new Fed brass and see if there are issues. If there are, the rifle will go to the smithy for some 'adjustments".
I would recommend Nosler brass...Or Winchester Nickel if you can find it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.