Bells Rung by a .22 LR

Ian M

Was sighting in a .22 semi-auto this afternoon with Remington ammo, the yellow jacketed hollow point stuff that comes in a box of 525 for about 10 bucks. This stuff goes bang, hits most of the time.
Pulled the trigger and no shot, pulled the cocking handle and the round stayed in the chamber. Dropped the mag, let the cocking handle go, tried to fire again. No luck. Took off my muffs, opened the action, locked it open, looked at the round still in chamber. What the hell, let bolt slam forward, gave handle a push forward with my thumb to seat it fully ahead, aimed at the target and let fly.
Damndest detonation I have heard in a long while, smoke shot horizontally out of the action, real strong smell and we are talking a hell of a bang. My hearing is pretty much done for, but this had the old bells ringing and the little birdies singing for three freaking hours. Matter of fact I believe my constant whining has gone up a notch or two. Sounds like super high pressure air is leaking out of a slightly larger hole than usual...
Bottom line here, wear hearing protection EVERY time you pull the trigger. This is particularly important for you young guys who still have some hearing. You just might get a bell-ringer - even from a .22 LR. I shot the rest of that carton off and had no problems, not sure what happened - almost seemed like an overload or something.

Ian,

I hope that you are feeling better.

I would also like to add that eye protection should also be worn every single time, for every single shot.

I wear glasses so have "protection" on all the time. Over the last 8 yrs, I have had several 22LR "blow up" spitting powder and grit in my face. yep, speckled the lenses.

Had a couple of primers leak due to my fault at the loading bench. Yep, speckled glasses.

Protect your hearing, eyes, and fellow shooters.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.