beginner

honda 412

I'm located eastern ohio/pa. Just started coyote hunting, did a couple sets here in there. but i'm really starting to like it ! I'f anyone can give me some tips on sets/calls/and gear is would be appreciated... Thanks

Wear Camo that fits well to Your surroundings and time of year Your Hunting like Real Tree AP Camo for most of the year or Natural Gear Snow Camo in the snowy winter months....blend in with your area,use good cover to hide in,limit Your movements.Try to stay scent-free by washing Your Camo in scent-free detergent and air dry outside or use the earth scented dryer sheets,keep Your clothes in an air tight plastic tub or outside in a container...spray down with scent-killer and wear rubber boots.

Slip into to where Your calling Predators/Coyotes quietly.I like to let things calm down 10-15 minutes before I start Calling unless I see something that needs to be called in beofre it slips away?I start out softly with any sound I'm using in case a Predator is close by?Stay after the Predators and enjoy being Outdoors,take pictures and keep track of Your Hunts as to the temp,wind direction,whats sounds/calls worked and if You saw or killed anything!

Some Hunters don't worry about scent control and say "Hunt the wind"....which is fine but anything You can do to better Your odd's is to Your advantage! ;)

I agree with the above post. I will also make a BIG suggestion for using the wind to your advantage. Coyotes tend to like to cirlce down wind alot unless you have a decoy visible. Here i shoot as many down wind as i do up wind. This time of the year here they are pairing up the past few sets i have had brought in both male and females running together in pairs. I generally always start out with a mouse squeaker as my first call in case i snuck in close to a yote just out of sight then i go to cottontail distress and then to jack rabbit. Out here the call of most success tho seems to be the CAT as in house/barn cat distress call. It is like u rang the dinner bell for the coyotes if u use a cat call here.

Stay at it if nothing else every time out u learn something wether u realize it or not.

GOOD LUCK

Here is what I take on my sets. The pack is a badlands monster. I have been using it for over a year now and love it. You can carry more than a person needs in this thing comfortably. I bought a cheap Ozark trail seat pad from Walmart and attached it to the compression straps on the bottom of the pack. The seat just plops right underneath you as you sit down and I don't even know its there while hiking in. I put my favorite hand calls and a head lamp for when its dark in one waist pouch and my range finder in the other side. I keep my electronic call in the main compartment along with my camera. In the smaller pockets I keep spare batteries for the call and a multi tool and my skinning blade. I just recently got the primos trigger stick and have really liked it so far. It is much easier to adjust on the fly than my old bipods and I find that it is quieter. I always take my binos to scan for those yotes that hang out there and GPS for setting waypoints in areas I find sign and have successful calling sessions. I'm in Arizona so a lot of my shots are past 100 yards. I carry a .243 win with a 4-16 scope.

Attachments

• P7270010.jpg
    P7270010.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 55
  • P7270012.jpg
    P7270012.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 69
  • P7270016.jpg
    P7270016.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 114
  • P7270015.jpg
    P7270015.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 62
  • P7270022.jpg
    P7270022.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 70
Good advice from those who shared. Go to the Home Page then click on "Coyote Articles" in the left column. Len has a big library of articles there that will give you more specific info on the sport. Good info there especially for the up and coming coyote caller. lightbulb

All of the above is great advise. I've been doing it for most of my life, and I still picked up some good tips from the LRH "coyote articles" section. The most important thing you can do is hunt hunt hunt hunt hunt hunt and then go hunt some more. If you pay attention, every time you're out there not getting a yote to come in, you're learning something you could do better (as long as you're not totally screwing it up, and educating the dogs, trust me on this one, but don't ask me how I know:D). The difference between predator hunting and big game hunting can be a bit bigger than most folks think.

Scout, scout, and scout some more. You will greatly increase your chance of success if you spend time scouting areas. It's easy to fool yourself into believing that any open area has coyotes. You can also be fooled fairly easily by hearing dogs calling. Many times I will hear coyotes in an area and assume its going to be great only to be frustrated when I hear a bunch but nothing comes in. I've found my success rate climbs pretty high if I actually see a coyote and then we up nearby and start calling. I've also found that if I see a coyote and for some reason can't get set up well, if I come back within the next week around the same time I'll see the coyote again very in the same general vicinity.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts