beginner in need of help

bnorton325

hey all...like the title says i am a newbie to the reloading game and i need some help. i have been helping a friend reload on a rcbs rock chucker and it works great. im in the army so i dont have a lot of money to throw around to get started. ive researched alot of different presses and i guess what i'm looking for is for real people that reload not an advertising adgency to give me good info. is it even worth it getting a cheaper press like a lee or do i need to just suck it up and pay the extra...will it really make that much difference? im just loking for a single stage...nothing progressive right now...just trying to get my own little operation started up. any help would be great.

Rockchucker

I bought a Rockchucker Press 17 years ago and have never regretted it. I wouldn't skimp on anything cheaper, especially if you think this is something you will be doing for a while. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

I've been using an RCBS Jr. for 40 years. No complaints. Though I am putting heavier grease on the ram lately.:D

Look in pawn shops etc for RCBS Jr.s and Rockchuckers. Can be had for as little as 40 bucks. At least around here.

The Lee Classic series is real good for the money. I have the Classic Turret press, and so far I have had absolutely no issues with it.

I've been using the Lee clasic for 15 years loading sparatically most of the time. It worked fine, but it was getting a little slopped out. Just replaced it with a ROckchucker IV. I would reccomend the Redding big boss, or the Rockchucker. Reddings are a little better IMHO.

If you are using the older RockChucker (not Supreme), the Redding Boss has comparable ram stroke, 3 1/2". It is top quality and sells for ~$100. Unless you are reloading long magnums or reforming brass, you won't be disappointed. I don't believe the newer (Supreme) RockChucker compares well to the old one. IMO, Redding makes better products.

A lot of discussion here:

Hornady or Lee? - Sniper's Hide Forums

All Lee products are cheaply made. All are subject to production variances. Some are innovative designs. How much variances influence functionality is dependent on the product. Don't buy on price unless you're willing to accept the compromises.

Research each piece of equipment and alternatives before spending your money. You want to make straight and consistent ammo. It's not necessarily hard or expensive to do so. Powder dispensing will be your greatest challenge. Weighing charges is the cheapest and most accurate way to proceed.

Last edited:
thanks for the info guys...its been a big help. ive been told before to look for an older rock chucker and i guess thats what ill do. if you know of anyone getting rid of one let me know!

I don't have one for you, but you're making a good choice. Be sure the one that you buy has a tight ram-to-bore fit. Slop in the linkages was normal on those and is pretty much inconsequential.

Can't go wrong with a second hand RockChucker,I've had one for twenty years and never had a problem with it,it will size the smallest to the biggest cases with ease.The Rock Chucker Supreme is even more of a good thing with it's wider/taller opening.Don't know the cost over there,but I would look into it ,be a good lifetime investment.
Steer clear of cheap presses and you won't hit any snags.
MagnumManiac
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.